Pre-op Wednesday 2/24-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-op Wednesday 2/24-

Well, tomorrow is my Pre-op with my surgeon and ir is getting so close now to my surgery . It is 2 weeks from this Thursday. Some days I start to feel like I did in the beginning ; very nervous and anxious . But then other days I am like so in to it that is like lets go now lets get the surgery over with I can't wait.
    March 1 I am going to the hospital for my Pre-op there and there I start counting down in days. The two scoliosis books are great. So I really am ready to go and God is with me now and will be with me through out all of this

Thanks for all of the great help you have given me so far and the great help you will give me up to the surgery and beyond

Melissa

My thoughts and prayers are with you Melissa. Where are you having your surgery?
    Glenda
    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
    Pleased with outcome

Comment

I am having my surgery in Charlotte at the Main Hospital in Down town Charlotte

Melissa

Comment

Good luck Melissa. I think at this point, I started getting excited. I can't remember exactly when I started quoting my % excited vs. % scared here on the forum. I'm just looney.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Melissa-- you sound like you are ready. You're informed, through your reading and through talking to people on here. And it sounds like your faith is strong and that will give you peace and strength. God is good.

Let us know how your pre-op goes-- and what all your surgeon will be fusing, etc. I'm praying for you. This is an exciting time for you!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It's weird;like people who are not in this community do not understand how I can be happy and excited about the surgery being closer. I keep telling them that I am not looking forward to the surgery but what lies beyond the surgery and the recuperation period

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

Good attitude, good luck, and you are so right about others not knowing what you are going through.

That's what this forum is all about. It's been a pleasure for me when I got back on here, to see how much you all have added to it's worth.

Thoughts and prayers,
              Shari
              Last edited by Shari; 02-24-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I'll be thinking about you Melissa, thoughts and prayers are with you!
                Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks so much for every one's good wishes and prayers

Melissa

Comment

My pre-op appointment went very well today. I am going to be fused from T2 to sacrum as I have kyphosis in my upper thoracic area. That is a long fusion. He said it is going to take me a while to get adjusted to it. There is some sadness there as I do enjoy roller coasters, and white water rafting. But I do not enjoy pain every day. My upper curve is 70% which he feels he can bring down to 40% and my lower curve is 60% which he feels he can bring down to 40% as well. He feels that I will be in the hospital about 5-6 days .

So my next step is March 1 where I go to Charlotte Main Hospital for their Pre-op Testing and then it is 10 days away!!!

Melissa

Comment

Oh my gosh Melissa - sounds just like what I was told yesterday. I also found out that I have some kyphosis so he will be operating on me from T2 to my sacrum also. I'm really happy that your pre-op went so well, and I just know you'll do great! A lot of people on here seem to have had that same kind of fusion and are doing great. I think everyone on here are superheroes, and soon we will be superheroes too . I keep telling my family that soon I'll have steel all the way down my spine, which will make me strong like Superman or Superwoman

I actually also have talked to a lady who has had surgery from her neck down to her sacrum, and she is one year post op and is doing many things that she did prior to her surgery, so I'm sure there's tons of exciting stuff you will be able to do again once you're healed.
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                      Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                      Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                      Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks As I have no choice except to have the surgery and move on; I except that when I am healed I will be very happy with my choice as I do not want to be in pain any longer

Good luck with yours as well

Melissa

Comment

Hey Melissa
                          will keep you in my thoughts & prayers, as so many others from the forum will! i hope your surgery goes smoothly & your recovery is uneventful & as fast as possible!

if i have surgery, i also need fusion to sacrum, though starting lower than you, at T11... am seeing my surgeon in nyc april 12th..

you sound as if you are in a very healthy state of mind...think that will be very important for healing, to be so positive...to go into it with such a good attitutude...

best wishes to you for a future that will be pain free after healing

jess

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes and yes I am totally in a good state of mine for this surgery

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                            X