PDA

View Full Version : Questions I will ask my surgeon on Wed

LynetteG
02-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Please tell me if these are good questions to ask, and if there are any more that you can think of that I should ask?

1) Has he had any deaths occur doing scoliosis surgery?
2) Can I listen to my hypnosis throughout my surgery on my headphones?
3) What levels of fusion does he need to do on me?
4) What kind of correction does he hope to get?
5) What will the approx. length of surgery time be?
6) How long does he think I'll be in hospital?
5) Does he put a filter in prior to surgery through the groin to the heart to stop blood clotting?
6) Should I continue with my birth control pill and how will I remember to take it after surgery if on lots of painkillers and how will I take it prior to surgery if I"m not allowed to swallow any water?
7) Will I be able to continue my career as a Licensed Massage Therapist eventually when I recover?
8) Will I need physical therapy afterwards, if so, will I have to travel all the way to Tampa for it or can I go somewhere more local to where I live?
9) Any diet recommendations prior to surgery?
10) Any exercise recommendations prior to surgery?
11) Can I book my surgery date today for end March/beginning April?
12) Does he have someone monitoring the spinal cord at surgery?
13) Will I need to donate blood prior to surgery, do I need to ask my family for donations also?
14) Has anyone been left paralyzed after his surgeries?
15) Do most people suffer back spasms afterward, why? And if so, how can I help to prevent that from happening?
16) What hospital will I be in? Is it University Community Hospital Tampa?
17) I had anaesthesia once before and felt light-headed and dizzy for ten days afterward for just a three hour surgery, is this likely to happen again?
18) Will I need a thoracoplasty?
19) Dr. Moreno had mentioned about placing a spacer at the base of my sacrum, is this something he will be doing also?
20) If he is operating down to my sacrum what will my flexibility be like afterward, will I be able to do yoga again one day?
21) Where can I buy a walker, raised toilet seat, and picker upper?
22) How necessary is it for me to have this surgery and what are the consequences for my future if I don't have this surgery?
23) I have little pain right now, will I be in much more pain after the surgery, and if so for the rest of my life?
24) Do you have a specialty on working on a particular part of the spine?
25) Do you specialize on working on a particular age group?
26) Do you specialize on mostly first time surgeries or revision surgeries?
27) Will you use pedicle screws or hooks?
28) Will I see you in the hospital right after surgery?
29) Who informs my family of my condition after surgery, and how soon after surgery do you call my family?
30) Will I go straight to ICU after the recovery room?
31) Will I need a respirator after surgery?
32) Will I need a chest tube after surgery, if so for how long?
33) How long will I need to wear the brace for after surgery?
34) I take vitamin D every day - is this okay to continue?

Well that's it for now, he'll probably sick of all my questions. If there's anything I'm forgetting then please let me know - thanks for reading if you read this far :)

Susie*Bee
02-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Had to laugh when I got to the end of your post. I read it all the way through. :) Let us know how he does with answering your questions. There are some other threads that deal with "questions to ask my doctor" that were done by others. Also, in either (both?) the Wolpert and Neuwirth books there are suggested questions. If you don't ask questions, the doctor will assume you aren't curious and don't need to know. Best wishes at your appointment!

LynetteG
02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks Susie Bee - I actually did get some additional questions from the David Wolpert book :)

txmarinemom
02-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Lynette,

I had to laugh at your job question. I've been in college full-time since last summer, studying to ditch my career as a programmer to pursue massage therapy - LOL.

Thus, I'm personally giving you the thumbs up on this one! :)

jrnyc
02-21-2010, 05:21 PM
hey, lynette..are you gonna ask ALL of them all at once..?!!!
please let me know if he answers them all at once......i want such a patient person as my surgeon!! :)

P.S. how will you listen to your tape during surgery... wont they have you all hooked up to wires & such?!! will it work while you are deeply unconcious? that is a very deep sleep, if they do it right...

jess

LynetteG
02-21-2010, 06:08 PM
That's great news Pam - I really would like to continue doing massage therapy. I also studied and became a board certified hypnotherapist, which I haven't had the opportunity to work with people yet on this. However I do know Jess, that even in your deepest state of unconsciousness, the last thing to go is your hearing, and hypnosis taps straight into your subconscious. It has been well documented that people who've had pre-surgery hypnosis, and post-surgery hypnosis that they had little or no loss of blood during surgery, and that they healed so much faster than most people, that the doctors have been astounded on how fast people have healed. If the doc' says no to listening to the hypnosis during the surgery, that's okay, as I've been listening to my pre-surgery hypnosis every day so far, and will have post-surgery hypnosis I can listen to afterward :). I remember when my father was dying of cancer, on his last few hours, in the hospital, the nurses kept pumping more and more morphine into him to help him get to heaven quicker, as at this point his body had tumors spread throughout. Anyway, my brother and I were in his room with him on our own for a few minutes, as we asked everyone else to leave the room so we could say our goodbyes, I went right up to his ear, and told him gently how much I loved him, and that everyone in our family loved him very very much. Well he responded with these sounds "mmm mmm mmm" as though to say I can hear you. That was the only time he made any kind of sound, until of course the very end when their breathing gets raspy. So I honestly believe that he heard everything I told him that day.

Okay I'm getting a bit heavy here :) sorry about that!!!

I hope I can ask my surgeon all those questions Jess, but - of course he may stop me halfway and say - NEXT! In other words, next patient please :) :)

Pam - are you studying right now to be a massage therapist?

txmarinemom
02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes, right now, Lynette ...

I'm actually going through a credit hour program vs. CE. Already passed 2401/2402 A&P (A&P I with a high B in a 5 week mini and A&P II with an A in a hybrid). Current school focus is on kinesiology (the rest isjust "stuff")- and wrapping my mind around a way to coordinate science and what so much of MT *is*. I want to present a new face to the stuff that I know works for me, and provide evidence that aids scientific community acceptance. I've tried it all(as far as pain mgmt), and massage therapy (with a good therapist) is one of the few things that ever brought me any relief.

My focus will always be scoliosis patients. The more I learn about myself, the more directed my focus is on post fusion issues. There's a serious lack in that knowledge.

Regards,
Pam

debbei
02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes, right now, Lynette ...

My focus will always be scoliosis patients. The more I learn about myself, the more my directed my focus becomes to post fusion issues. There's a serious lack in that knowledge.

Oh Pam, I sure wished I lived close to you. I won't let anyone touch my back. The only exception was my PT when I went for 3 months for the back, and 2 months for the shoulder.

There are going to be some lucki scoli patients down there in Texas!

Doodles
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Yes, we all need a Pam close by. That sounds heavenly. Lynette, be sure to ask how many scoliosis fusions they do with adults during a year--not just kids. Actually, I forgot you probably basically are a kid! Ha. Janet

gmw
02-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks Lynette for listing your questions here. Some really good ones. It's good to have such a comprehensive list. Since the surgeon's time is so limited, I'm wondering if we couldn't get some of them answered by the surgeon's nurse?:)

LynetteG
02-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Pam - Outstanding, that is fabulous what you are doing!

Janet - Yep you're right, I'm 44 going on 18 :)

sccrm08
02-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Lynette,

I had 5 pages of questions for my surgeon, a 3:00 appt. and left his office near 7:00pm (luckily I was his last appt). He never tried to rush me had another surgeon and his nurse in with us and went over everything throughly. My husband was the one who said we needed to wrap it up as we had a plane to catch a couple hours later to Cozumel for a vacation.

LynetteG
02-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Patty - that's great that they were so wonderful with answering your questions. Nice that you had a Cozumel vacation to head off to afterward :) :)

LynetteG
02-23-2010, 04:39 AM
David - awesome questions - thank you so much - I've added those questions to my list :) :)

jsully
03-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey, I noticed you saw Dr. Moreno too and are going with someone else as I am. Why did you decide not to use him? Just curious. Thanks

LynetteG
03-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Dr. Moreno was my first choice, but he wasn't covered under my insurance. However I'm friends with a woman who is president of the local chapter of the scoliosis organization, and she brings in kids from places like Romania etc., to have surgery for scoliosis, and one time this one particular girl who had extremely severe curves over 100 degrees, it was all on the television etc., and no doctor wanted to even try to correct her curves. So Dr. Moreno and Dr. Cronen worked on her and gave her a fantastic correction, needless to say Dr. Moreno HIGHLY recommended Dr. Cronen to me as did the friend of mine. Whenever Dr. Moreno gets a complicated surgery, he typically works alongside Dr. Cronen. Dr. Cronen was trained under Dr. Lenke who is a scoliosis expert, and Dr. Cronen's specialty is deformed spines, he works extensively on both adults and kids. When I met him I thought he had a fantastic patient manner, he answered three pages of questions that I had for him, and I just knew immediately that this surgeon was going to do a good job, so I trust him to do just that. He is doing my surgery April 1st at the University Community Hospital and this Friday I have my pre-op. I highly recommend you go see him for a consultation, and have your list of questions ready for him. By the way Dr. Cronen also belongs to the professional scoliosis affiliate whatever it's called, I can't remember. So check him out before making a decision on the doctor you're seeing April 1st.

jsully
03-18-2010, 05:00 AM
I will check him out today, thanks!

Shari
03-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi Lynette,

Maybe you could email your list of questions prior to your visit. If it takes 2 or 3 minutes to answer each question, which are good questions, he may just knock you out right then;)!!! And I was so nervous, I couldn't remember much of what he said, once he told me I was going to have ant/post surgeries.

I love your attitude,
Shari

LynetteG
03-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Shari - just check out the first post of this one, and you'll see the entire list of questions that I asked him :)

Shari
03-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I did see it:)

Shari

LynetteG
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Shari - sorry I think I misunderstood you - silly me. Now I have re-read it - did you mean a suggestion would be to email the doctor prior to seeing him with the questions? Great idea Shari for people in the future seeing their doctors. I have searched and searched for an email address for either my doctor or his secretary, and there's no email address either on the business card I have, or on their website!

Shari
03-23-2010, 03:17 AM
Got to love ya Lynette,

I was just entertaining myself I guess. Trust me, I had no ill will to you at all,
I just thought about the Dr. having a schedule (?) and you hitting him w/ all those questions.:)

I guess most people don't understand my sense of humor, but I could imagine being a Dr. getting hit w/ all those questions...

Trust me, I was only entertaining myself, at your expense, and I am sorry!!!!

Every question you had was extremely informative, I just imagined I was the Dr!!!

I do have a strange sense of humor. You are very prepared, and have made a very intellegent list :)

Wish I would have,
Shari

LynetteG
03-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Oops sorry Shari - I was a bit slow on that one - LOL!!!

mbeckoff
03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
When I saw my Doctor for my preop, he answered every single question that I had . He spent over 2 hours with me and calmed every fear that I had and when I walked out of his office, he said 2 things to me, First he said that he wished every patient was as prepared as I was because I sent sent to him my list of questions in advance and Second , if any more questions come up,please call him so that he may answer them.

I feel that if your surgeon will not answer your questions, who will?

Melissa

jsully
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
What were the answers to your questions? Maybe I won't have to be so redunent! :)