Couple of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions

How long after surgery typically do you have to wear the brace for?

For women who are on birth control pill - how do you take it right before surgery if told not to swallow any water etc., for 12 hours prior to surgery, and also right after surgery if everyone is so out of it on morphine etc., how do you take your next pill on time?

Got tons of other questions, just got to try to get some sleep as it's 2:30am - can't seem to sleep much these days.

Also I'm very much overweight right now, I was shocked when I stood on my scale this morning. I'm approximately 30 lbs overweight - and I will be trying to schedule surgery for end March/beginning April. Any suggestions on diet to lose weight? I struggle with diet so much, so any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Hi, Lynette,

I'm just going to answer what I can ...

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
    For women who are on birth control pill - how do you take it right before surgery if told not to swallow any water etc., for 12 hours prior to surgery, and also right after surgery if everyone is so out of it on morphine etc., how do you take your next pill on time?
    You can take probably take your pill dry - or with a teeny sip of water before surgery. Ask your surgeon. I took mine the morning of surgery.

Also, it's not a given you'll be so out of it you won't know to take your next one. I dosed myself. If you're worried about it, arrange beforehand for someone to give it to you.

One benefit I found in being on the pill like I am (I never take a week off ... just do the first 3 weeks and start a new pack) is that I didn't have a post-op period like a lot of people do. Not sure if that's the case with people who take it on a normal schedule.

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
    Any suggestions on diet to lose weight? I struggle with diet so much, so any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
    I know the weather's still crappy in a lot of the US, but walk as much as you possibly can, as briskly as you can. Every day. Aside from boosting your
    metabolism now, I can't stress how much it'll help you in recovery. In fact, it's arguably the #1 thing you can do to speed things along post-op.

Have you considered consulting with a nutritionist regarding diet? It seems to me they could help set you on a path that could both meet your short-term goals and end the struggles you've faced.

Hang in there!

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam - Thank you so much for your excellent advice. I will start the walking as of today, and I'm seeing a great hypnotherapist this coming wednesday afternoon, so I'll ask her to help me with the weight loss, she also works with a nutritionist from what I understand.

I will definitely keep taking my birth control pill then, I actually take it for peri-menopause reasons as my gyno told me it helps with hot flashes and hormones etc., which it does incredibly. So I think I'll do what you did, keep taking it so there is no menstruation going on right after surgery.

Thanks again Pam.
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Hi Lynette! I hope all is well with you. I've been reading all of your posts and it sounds like everything is falling into place for your surgery. I had an a/p surgery on 1/13/10 and I remember worrying about my pill. They made me stop taking it because birth control pills have a risk of causing blood clots. They said not to start taking it until after I saw my surgeon at my 4 week appointment. You might want to ask you doctor about it. I also can't stress enough how important it is to exercise to prepare for the surgery. Being fit prior to surgery has helped me tremendously post op. It sounds like you are on the right track. I wish you the best of luck on your journey. You sound like a strong and wonderful woman who can get through anything. : )

Comment

Wow Lisa, thank you so much for your wonderful kind words. I appreciate your encouragement very much. I really need to boost my fitness badly then right now, I used to be incredibly fit, and have really let myself go through a little depression in the last few months with my ex and court stuff etc. Now I'm focusing on getting through this well and strong, and focusing on how much my little boys need their mommy round for a long time

Good point about the pill, it's definitely one of the 35 questions I have lined up for him on Wednesday!
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

I didn't have a brace at all. Sorry, no advice on the pill; I've been off it for years and years. Although when I did take it, I always took it dry, as Pam mentioned.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Lynette, I don't know where you live but my son tried every diet out there and he wasn't successful until he went to a doctor who monitored him, took blood work and put him on a partial liquid diet. He had to go to see her every week to be checked. He lost a lot of weight fast. I'm in New Jersey but I'm sure you can find someone in your area. Joy

Comment

Originally posted by joyfull View Post
                Lynette, I don't know where you live but my son tried every diet out there and he wasn't successful until he went to a doctor who monitored him, took blood work and put him on a partial liquid diet. He had to go to see her every week to be checked. He lost a lot of weight fast. I'm in New Jersey but I'm sure you can find someone in your area. Joy
                Joy,

Out of curiousity, how much did your son need to lose?

MD monitored liquid/partial liquid dieting and procedures like lap banding can be a great thing for (I hate to say this, but it's clinical - so please don't take offense) morbidly obese people, but Lynette has just creeped up to +30 from her target weight - and she has a few months to work on it. A modified liquid diet seems pretty extreme for her.

I'd actually try to dissuade anyone in her category - especially going into surgery in a few months- from losing a lot of weight fast. You can't stress your body that way in a short period of time only to hit it again with fusion surgery - with good results.

Rapid weight loss affects muscle mass, healing, etc., etc. It's just not healthy before a surgery like this. Learning to eat correctly *before* surgery is a much better long-term plan, I'd think. You can lose pre-op weight on a partial liquid diet, but then what? I'm almost sure a partial liquid diet wouldn't provide the energy your body needs to recover.

Regards,
                Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Lynette,

I have my pre op on Wednesday too...so does RitaR from this forum. My surgeon said I will have to stop the birth control pill one month out from surgery...darn!!! I would love to try Pam's trick!!! Let us know how pre op goes...we will compare notes.
                  Laura
                  62 degrees
                  49 yrs. young
                  Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Lynette - as far as diet goes....Eat anything that swims, flies, or come out of the ground! haha!...what that means is ... fish, seafood, chicken, turkey, eggs, fruits, veggies and whole grains. Try to stay away from anything white, like sugar, white bread/flour. Eat lots of protein (fish, eggs, chicken, etc.) and brown rice, sweet potato, (no butters or sour creams)...I LOVE the Tosca Reno Clean Eating Book...it's good common sense, nothing drastic. And, as Pam said...walk a half hour every day. You will lose weight doing this!
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young
                    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, I agree with you Pam, partial liquid is not the way I would lose weight before surgery, I will eat healthy grains etc., my problem is I'm a sugar addict, LOVE ice cream and chocolate. Just got to say NO and realize this is for my sons, so that I can get through this in optimal health and be there for them afterward
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

I can only answer the brace question.I had surgery Aug.2009 and I am still wearing my brace.This week I get to start weening myself from wearing the brace.I think it depends on your surgeon if you wear a brace or not.
                        Sheri
                        Aug.17,09 Anterior
                        Aug.20,09 Posterior
                        Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                        Cedars-Sinai
                        Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                        Husband married 30 years
                        3 kids 29,28,25
                        4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
                          Lynette,

I have my pre op on Wednesday too...so does RitaR from this forum. My surgeon said I will have to stop the birth control pill one month out from surgery...darn!!! I would love to try Pam's trick!!! Let us know how pre op goes...we will compare notes.
                          I always find comparisons between Lenke and Hanson hilarious: Hanson did his SRS fellowship under Lenke, and his rules are *completely* different.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                          EMAIL ME

Comment

Apparently my doctor, Dr. Cronen did his fellowship under Dr. Lenke also - it will be interesting to see what he says
                            Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Working...
                            X