Postop question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postop question

Just curious how everyone thinks I should travel home following surgery? I am roughly about 6 -1/2 hours away from St. Louis. This morning I was looking up airline tickets, but of course wont be able to book those until probably the day or two before time to be discharged so hard to estimate when that would be. And, last minute prices of course are a little higher. I've found $150 for a oneway ticket into KC, my husband and I are kinda leaning toward considering that avenue once I make the venture onto the "other side".... Gosh that sounds so nice! But, I know not to even consider booking until then. Just curious as to other folks opinion. The thought of returning 6 hrs in a car doesn't exactly excite me. I've had surgery in Kansas City before and didn't think I was going to make it back to Topeka. Thanks and I appreciate your thoughts here.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

I drove just over an hour home and did not enjoy it. That being said at 6 months post op I flew on two flights the first 2 hours and the second 3. I was miserable the whole time. The airline seats were so uncomfortable. They do not fit my new back....bring pillows!!! Also be warned if the alarm goes off going through security you will have extra screening which I get every time. (I have stanless steel implants that set the alarm off) After they wand me they then have to pat down the whole back as the wand went off the length of my spine. That may not feel good at 1 -2 weeks post op. I have flown several times since and find I stand and move as much as I can get away with. I will be flying tomorrow for a 2 hour flight and am not looking forward to it. I for one will be glad when the airports have the new screening machines it may be fun to watch there expression when they see all the metal in me.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Rita--I had about 7 hours for trip back to Iowa. We drove about half way with stops every one & 1/2 hours. We'd booked a motel and I think I fell asleep immediately ate a little and right back to sleep--I was exhausted. Next day made the rest of the way home. So about 3 and 1/2 hours each day. It worked quite well--better than messing with airports for the distance. I also had lots of pillows and the passenger seat nearly flat. I admit it did take us quite a while initially to get me settled with a few stops before we ever got out of St. Louis.
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I've *always* been uncomfortable on planes, in cars ... anything that makes me sit still for an extended period. Scoliosis, ADHD ... whatever.

Funny the 316SS implants set off scanners, Patty ... I've allowed 2-3 hours for every single time I've flown since instrumentation (my hardware is Vitallium), and I have never set off a scanner.

Okay, when I took my daughter to the Downtown HPD center to pick up an accident report copy (after she got creamed on her moped), I was wanded - and alarms went off all over. I'd warned the cop with the wand before she scanned me, and she *could* have set it to silent ... she appeared to enjoy the reaction.

She even made a point to wand over other areas I mentioned (like my ankle - which does have 316SS). It must have been a boring day for her.
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

I went through airport security in Phionix AZ today. And once again I set off the alarms...told them I have metal implants and was pulled aside for further screaning. I was then asked if I wanted the wand & patdown search or the imaging. I said which ever they perfer is fine with me. They brought me to the imaging machine and when they were done I asked to see the pictures and they said they are looked at in an office with no windows and there was no way for me to see them. I was so disapointed...but it was much faster and no patdown.
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Rita

I wouldn’t worry about the trip home right now. Address this with Dr Lenke.

He will probably say lets wait and see and decide during your hospital stay.

I always buy travel insurance. It always seems that something happens and I have to change dates. The airline companies are now making flying a pain in the ass with all their charges and rules. If you do not pay up front, there is nothing lost.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...