New Here...Surgery coming within 6 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here...Surgery coming within 6 months

Hi! This has been a wonderful source of information and comfort! I've been following my double curve for the last 16 years with no change, until my last visit. My upper curve is now 65 degrees and my lower curve is 50 degrees.

I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow to further evaluate my spine. When we get those results, we'll set a more definite surgery date, but right now, we are aiming for the first of June.

What are some things I can do to help prepare myself for the surgery? Books to read? Exercises that may help my flexibility? Things to purchase for my recovery time?

Thanks for your help.
    Jenny

Jenny, you can't go wrong reading David Wolpert's "Scoliosis Surgery". It will answer most of your questions and give you a good picture of what's going to be done plus how and why.

There are very knowledgeable people here who will also answer your questions, so ask away.

Getting fit generally helps ease anxiety and stands you in good stead for the surgery. Eating healthily goes without saying.

A thick memory foam topper for your bed seems to be the go though I didn't have one. Wish I did though because patients rave about them! Lots of pillows for the recovery, in bed, on the sofa, at the computer etc.

Read this forum to get an idea of what it was like for other patients helps too.

Best of luck, Jenny!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jenny, welcome to the forum. I ditto JenniferG on the above. June 1st hey!
      That was the date i scheduled mine last year. What worked for me? Aquarobics and Pilates and walking everyday. My anaethetist told me pre-op to walk 1/2 hour every day (an hour if i could) to build up fitness and lung function. My surgeons Physio, gave me a rundown on how to logroll and generally sit and move after surgery without bending, lifting and twisting.
      We also organised for the delivery of a toilet seat raiser and also told me to invest in a couple of grabbers. The people on here are a wealth of information and always eager to help. I bet if we all just contributed one line to write a book, that the book would be as thick as (if not more) 'War and Peace'! Seeya round on the forums.
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Welcome Jenny. Ditto about the David Wolpert book--very helpful, written in clear, understandable language--that was my first resource. Although I had a lot of pre-op pain, I kept up with my lap-swimming as well as massage from a neuro-muscular massge therapist who really understood scoli. I probably let mine go too long. I just never had any pain until the last few years so I didn't realize how big the curves had gotten. Good for you that you're going after this now.

Anne in PA
        Age 58
        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
        T4 to sacrum fusion
        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

I just got that David Wolpert book today - excellent resource - thanks so much for suggesting it!
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Thanks....I had my MRI today and have a follow up with my doctor next Wednesday. I hope to be able to wait until end of May/first of June to schedule surgery, so I can enlist the help of my in-laws who are teachers as child care - and "me care."

Comment

Welcome Jenny,

Can't offer better advice, just wanted to say welcome!!!

Regards,
              Shari

Comment

Working...
              X