PDA

View Full Version : being a passenger in a car

mbeckoff
02-18-2010, 11:16 PM
My surgery is scheduled for March 11.

I was wondering how long it would be until I , as a passenger, would be able to tolerate a 9 hour car trip. Yes I know that every one is different but I was just wondering what some ideas might be

Thanks

Melissa

kt2009
02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
At three months post op...I did three hours with 2 very short breaks....I don't know that I could have done much more. I'm almost 6 months now, and I wouldn't look forward to 9 hours...but would probably plan two sizable breaks...hour or so. I'm much better at sitting for longer periods of time...but it makes me stiff and it's the getting up and moving around right after that's hard. Getting better though!

Vali
02-19-2010, 04:22 AM
On discharge from hospital, i was told to avoid travel for at least 6 weeks unless really necessary. After my 8 week post-op appoinment, i was allowed to drive as i was on no pain meds, however, he said that if i was doing long journeys, that i would have to stop and get out every half hour to stand straight for a while. I think there are some people on here that have made long journeys home from surgery! I think at the end of the day, its up to you and how you feel. Best wishes.

Jimbo
02-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I am three weeks out and drive around for hours each day and love it :D

mmmm, nine hours, that is a longy! My prediction would be three weeks, maybe sooner if your are doped up on opioid meds.

You most likely would not be able to do that in one haul though, but with multiple stops where you can get out and shuffle around, you should be aight!

ADMoul
02-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I did 4 hours home from NY a week after surgery and tolerated it amazingly well. They gave me 2 Percocet before I left, I rode in the front (heated) seat of my husband's Lexus with my brace on and just slightly tilted back and it wasn't bad at all. We stopped for lunch for about an hour. I think I was probably so glad to get away from the hospital, I didn't care about pain from the car ride!

mbeckoff
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all of your opinions and ideas

Melissa

debbei
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
The longest ride I was a passenger was about 11 months post-op and we drove 6 hrs. I was fine. 9 hours sounds tough though--with fusion or without. :)

Vali
02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
May turn into a case of:- "are we there yet?"