Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone fused t2 to pelvis???

Hi Everyone,
    I just went to my pre-op appointment today. There going to fuse my fromT2 to pelvis. Has anyone else been fused this much? How limited will I be in activities? Any info will be appreciated...

I am pretty sure Ed (titaniumed) was fused T2 - pelvis. I am fused T4 - pelvis. Janet (Doodles) may also be fused T2 - pelvis. I am sure there are others.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yes, I am T2-pelvis. I of course can't bend at the waist but I find new ways to do things--squatting, going down on one knee etc. I know age will play a huge part in this for you--the younger the better for movement. At 10 & 1/2 months I bend over about to the knees, still find putting on shoes tricky--elastic laces are really helpful and all of those little fancy sock/shoe puter onner things really help at the beginning. I still use my long-handled shoehorn though! They will probably have you purchase those at the hospital if you so choose. I am hoping to get back more mobility as time goes on. My p.t. today said some people just aren't as flexible to begin with so that might be part of it. To see me walking no one would know. It's still better than where I was and where I was headed. Some on here have lots more mobility than I who are also to the pelvis. Ed for instance--I exercise all the time but I'm not quite the Olympian that Ed is! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Domkam

Welcome to the forum. I was fused T2-pelvis, just 2 years ago and had an A/P anterior first, then 2 days later the posterior. It’s a pretty nice rack.

Adaptability, acceptance, and having a positive attitude are attributes that are needed in the recovery period after one of these surgeries. All these little things like the long handled shoe horn, really are little things, and I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If I can put ski boots on, you will be able to get your shoes on.

It will be a tough recovery, especially the first few days. It depends on your age. I had my A/P at age 49 and it was a challenge. The young kids seem to heal pretty quick. How old are you?

I think that my biggest problem might be clipping my toenails on my left foot. I can do it alone, but really have to pull down to reach. So if that’s my biggest handicap with all of this, that’s not too bad.

If you want, I will talk to you on the phone. Just e-mail me titaniumed@hotmail.com I can explain much more on the phone. If you did your pre-op, when is the surgery date?

Hi Janet
        Im no Olympian, but sometimes I come close.LOL Glad to see that you are coming along. I had vast amounts of improvement from 10 months to 15 months, and of course 2 years out is even better. PT is a good thing.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Im fused to t2-pelvic..When I first came on to this forum I read a few posts about people thinking they were going to be like a tin man. I honestly feel amazing prior to after the surgery the only pain i endured was from them putting the metal and messing around in my back, but that burning feeling that was on my side is now gone!! I walk around normal. I mean I can't do much while I'm in the brace but considering having two surgeries that equaled 19hrs and being 5 weeks post op I considered being bless. I know I have looked up to titaniumed =) he has been a HUGE inspiration to me. I can't wait to start PT ((the real thing right now I have a visiting pt but she doesn't have me do anything interesting)) so I can start toning my back and stomach muscles.

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
          Fused T2-Pelvis
          Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

I am fused T2 though S2. Have had a total of four surgeries. Think the last one was the toughest. Cut into a lot of soft tissue, removing the two pelvic screws, the lower part of both rods, and the lower left part of the rod which was broken. Sorest because of the muscle involvement, I'm sure. I was off work from Apr til mid July, at which time I returned to work part time, then retired the end of December 2008. Am currently back doing water aerobics, and lots of walking on the treadmill. Can put on shoes, but need help trimming my toenails. I can reach and do them myself, but they are a little crooked! So my hubby helps. Am still dealing with muscle spasms, but I can live with them. Ed and I had our surgeries about the same time, but I'm older! (Had to throw that in there, Ed!) It was worth the surgery. Don't have any of the pains I had before the surgery, and any pain I feel today, I call my healing pain. Keep us posted as you progress through this major life event, please.
            Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
            Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
            T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
            Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
            Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
            Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
            Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
            Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
            Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Meg

Just trying to help. It’s a mutual understanding that we scolis have with one another. We all climb mountains, and tackle the same goals.

Physical therapy will be a slow process in the beginning. Lots of easy stretching, and the use of very light weights will come in time. It’s a slow controlled process. They wanted me in twice per week, and I decided that I would rather go once per week, for double the time. That way I could extend my PT time, and do stretching and light exercises on my own at home. I extended my PT for 6 months total in this manner. The Doctors agreed with my logic.

I took my recovery slow and easy till I was fused. I was worried, and didn’t want to push it. Better to be safe than sorry. Its great to hear that you are doing well.

Les

I lost track of all your revisions, and just remembered that you are only about 2 months out from your last revision. I hope your spasms mellow out soon, mine took a few months to settle down. Its funny, I tell people that after I die, I actually have scrap value and to cash me in when Im done. As long as I don’t have to have any hardware removed, my heirs will be "full vested" LOL
              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed--I never thought of that! That's pretty funny. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

thanks for all the encouragement guys...It's much appreciated

Comment

Hi, I am going to be fused T1 to sacrum March 11.

These are good things for me to think about

Melissa

Comment

sounds like you are doing amazingly well, megz...am so happy for you, as i've followed your journey thru your posts on forum, & seen how hard it has been at times, & how far you have come!

just one question, Ed...and you other folks who have looong fusions, thoracic thru sacrum or pelvis (wow...you are all inspirations to me!)...how do the P.T. guys...or anyone else...help you to strengthen your stomach muscles if no sit up kinda' activities are possible with the fusion...what does one do instead to strengthen the stomach muscles & core of the body? couldnt sleep tonite, as usual, & have been pondering this question...& trying to imagine what would work instead...?

thanks...for any answers, & also for being so inspiring!

jess

Comment

That's a great question Jess - I never though about not being able to do sit-ups afterwards!
                        Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                        Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                        Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                        Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

I took it real slow for the first 6 months because I wanted to know if I was fused. I didn’t want to take any chances due to all the grafting that was done with my corpectomies. The large anterior cut also tend to slow you down a bit. The exercise of choice will be walking, walking and you guessed it, more walking. Preferably outside and higher frequency. Not 10 miles per week on Sunday and sleep the rest of the time. My Doc did not want me sleeping all the time.

I think I was about 8 months along when I sat up to get out of bed. I called the office to see if this was ok, and they said it was fine. I started a log roll sit up motion. I now can get out of bed faster than any fireman.

My PT was after my shoulder operation at 8 months. They move real slow in the beginning with stretches, and slowly work up to light weights. 1lb, 2lb, 5lb, that kind of thing. Arm exercises, curling etc transfer to the stomach.

I had a real hard time with the drugs. I lost 40# and had to quit before they killed me. After I quit at 6 weeks post, I started jamming nutrients, and started to recover quickly. My muscles seemed like old rubber bands, but they do come back. You guys can come out here and help me shovel rock and snow. I do this stuff alone and wont hire anyone. I would lose out on my exercise! Shovel 30,000# plus, and you will get your stomach back! I have a huge back yard.
                          Ed

My x-rays

Comment

hey Ed....how on earth do you shovel...and use stomach muscles.....when you cant bend...i get it if you just lift from the knees.....but i dont get how the stomach muscles get exercised-ed-ed....do they contract when lifting from the knees?

i fully believe that you have regained the muscle strength.....just dont get how it happens......

for me, the mystery continues....

jess

Comment

Working...
                            X