Jen Parker Taller & Straighter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jen Parker Taller & Straighter!

I am back! I went into the hospital on the 29th and was discharged 7 days later. I flew home to Salt Lake on February 9th. The reason I haven't posted before now? TOO MUCH PAIN!!!! I am very straight though--I don't know yet what the correction is--but I gained 2 inches.

THANK YOU for all being so concerned. How did Chris do? She had her surgery the same day--I'll nose around and see if she has posted yet.

My mom was an absolute angel for staying with me for two weeks in St. Louis and a few days here at my house to be my "occupational therapist" so I could get dressed, take my first shower!, and get a little food for myself.

What do you all want to know? Throw the questions and I'll try to answer them tomorrow.

I'm not always in this much pain--each day is so different. I am having a hard time with the bowels so I am trying to balance out taking the narcotics and being in so much stomach pain. Not trying to be gross--just telling it like it is!

Jennifer

If you mean Chris from NC, I spoke with her on the phone and she is doing very well and feeling good. Having some of the same stomach issues you are having...totally normal!
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

Jen!!! Sooo glad to hear from you! Was it everything we hoped it would be? I hope you are in less and less pain each day. Did Dr. Lenke and his staff treat you well? I'll be there soon enough! Next week is pre op for me. A couple of questions I have now (I know I will have more soon!)

1. Where were you fused from/to?
      2. Did you lose much blood and did you have to donate before?
      3. How do you know when to schedule your return flight???
      4. Did you go somewhere else in St. Louis after you were discharged? ... like stay at a hotel or rehab or something?
      5. Were you up and walking the following day?
      6. What do you remember from the day of surgery and waking up?

Sorry for all of those questions..hope it's not too much to ask! Just so glad to have someone that knows what I will be going through at the same place I will be going through it! Thanks in advance Jen!!! Glad you're back!
      Laura
      62 degrees
      49 yrs. young
      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Answers to Questions

1. Where were you fused from/to? T3 to L3

2. Did you lose much blood and did you have to donate before? I donated twice before and they used both units

3. How do you know when to schedule your return flight??? Trickiest part of all. I arrived in St. Louis Jan 27 and left Feb 9. I don't know if I was ready to come home--but once I was here it was so much better!

4. Did you go somewhere else in St. Louis after you were discharged? ... like stay at a hotel or rehab or something? My mom and I stayed at the Parkway that is connected to the hospital.

5. Were you up and walking the following day? Yep. Only walked a little--but it did feel good to sit up, stand up and know that I was alive and could walk!

6. What do you remember from the day of surgery and waking up? Basically nothing. I remember sitting on a bed in the pre-op area with my mom and then my next memory was waking up in pain on my back. I really wanted to get off my back but they wanted me on my back so I think they drugged me back to la-la land!

Comment

Wow!...thanks for those answers...this is such a huge help and very comforting. Back to the scheduling of the flight question....did you just book it before you went and just guess at 2 weeks? Or did you wait until after your surgery and book it? It's so tricky, as you said! How was your day today???? What level of pain are you in? Are you walking every day?
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

More answers to questions

I booked my return ticket at the same time. It was just a guess. I knew that if I had to stay longer I could change it even though it would cost more. My mom thought that for medical reasons the airline might not hit us with too many penalties if we had to change--I don't know if this is true or not?

I am in more pain today than yesterday. My usual pain even with the meds is at about a 6 or 7 on the pain scale of 1-10. I'm hoping that it will gradually decrease. I have done some of my walking today and still have more. It's difficult to find the right balance of walking (to get back into shape, keep the bowels moving etc.) and resting.

The hardest thing of all is sitting. Do any of you find this to be the case? Sitting is the worst! I would rather stand than sit.

Comment

Congratulations Jen on getting through all of this! You gained two inches - that's outstanding! Hope your pain gets less and less each and every day. God bless!
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Originally posted by jenparker View Post
                The hardest thing of all is sitting. Do any of you find this to be the case? Sitting is the worst! I would rather stand than sit.
                That was the case with me as well, Jennifer. It'll get better.

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

The sitting - me too!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

[

The hardest thing of all is sitting. Do any of you find this to be the case? Sitting is the worst! I would rather stand than sit.[/QUOTE]

Very much Ditto!
                    Vali
                    44 years young! now 45
                    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                    Post -op - 5 degrees
                    T11 - S1 Posterior
                    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

It's not so much the sitting--it's having to get up after I've been sitting that's rough. My worst problem has been lying down and sleeping at night--staying in one position and then getting incredibly stiff, spasms, etc. We have been using ice packs a couple times a day, esp. in evening, and that's helped. I actually made it through the night staying in my own bed last night without having to resort to the recliner. I am still holding a lot of fluid (abdominal, lower leg/ankles) which the PA said is normal for what I went through with all the transfusions. Sometimes that is as uncomfortable as the back pain. One day at a time...

Anne in PA
                      Age 58
                      Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                      T4 to sacrum fusion
                      63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                      Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                      Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                      X