Scared Stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared Stiff

I am so scared to have this surgery. I need to have an anterior and posterior incision. My curverture is at an 89 degree angle and I'm really worried things will go wrong. I've always been in pain but got used to it. After the baby though the pain has increased so much that I have trouble excersing . I power walk 3 times a week, go biking a fews times but the pain, I just want to cry it hurts so bad. Does anyone have any advice on what excercises I can do that won't make me want to die once I'm done? I have to lose some weight before my surgery.

Hi!

I'm two months post-op. Had front and back incisions for an 80 degree thoracic curve and a 64 degree lumbar curve. I'm fused from T4 to my sacrum.

10 months before I was due to have surgery, I hooked up with a personal trainer. It was well worth the expense.

She helped me build up my quads (your big thigh muscles) as well as my back muscles. These muscles, especially the leg muscles, will be very important to you once your surgery is over. You'll be using them in place of the muscles that you use to bend over.

I was in the best physical shape that I could be in when I went into surgery.

Please try not to be afraid...count me as one of the people who was happy that she had the surgery.

Denise

Comment

Hi gotleyd...

I know what a Catch 22 it is. If you don't exercise, you don't lose weight. But, if you do exercise, your pain limits what you can do and makes you feel so horrible that it's impossible to be motivated to keep it up.

If it's an option, you might want to try water aerobics. Although I don't think it's necessarily the best way to lose weight, many people with scoliosis find they can do it without pain.

If you're not obese, you might want to consider having the surgery without the weight loss. First, the surgery inself will almost certainly cause you to lose weight. I think I lost about 25 pounds! Secondly, once the immediate recovery period is over, you'll probably be able to walk as much as you want without pain.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Denise
        Just courious..why did U build up your back muscles? They only got cut and damaged during surgery..I was told the best excercise to do is cardio..to build up your lungs and stamina...It all comes back..I just did a 20 minute mile and felt no pain..I was so happy...so everything comes back with time...As far as the losing weight..I fould Opifast to be very rewarding..It's dr. supervised and it works...
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism
        complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
        increasing pain at the T4/5
        point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi Connie!

You know, I hadn't thought about it but you're right. Those back muscles do get cut.

I'm still glad that I went into surgery with toned muscles, including the back, though. I would imagine that the healthier the muscle, the better the healing factor.

As for cardio...definitely good! Not only for pre-op patients but everybody in general.

Take care,
          Denise

Comment

Scared Stiff

Thank you for your replies. I think I might try the water aerobics, but the personal trainer is a little more than my buget can afford.
            What is Opifast?
            My second appointment is on the 15th and will be taking more x-rays and I will find out when I can have my surgery.
            thanks again

Comment

Hi!

I take Water Physical Therapy. I had always heard how tough it was but, because it was in water and it looked easy, I always looked down my nose at it.

Boy was I wrong!

I take it for 45 minutes twice a week, then go home and crash. The next two days I really feel it.

Go with the water aerobics. I bet it'll be very effective!

Oh, I don't know quite what Optifast is. Spincom58 brought it up a couple of posts ago re: weight loss.

Take Care,
              Denise

Comment

Working...
              X