PDA

View Full Version : Filter to prevent blood clots

LynetteG
02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Have most of you prior to your surgery, had a filter put in through your groin to your heart to prevent blood clotting? I wondered is this normal practice? I also wonder what your opinions on having this extra safety precaution prior to surgery?

Doodles
02-13-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not familiar with that. I had a port put in just below the clavicle the Friday before my Monday surgery--just for easy access to veins, etc. I think. Janet

JenniferG
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
No I didn't have that. I had something in the clavicle area when I woke up. I was given injections daily to prevent blood clots.

LynetteG
02-13-2010, 04:50 PM
The reason I asked is because Dr. Moreno had told me that he was going to put a filter in me a week prior to surgery as an extra precaution to prevent blood clotting - so I will be asking Dr. Cronen his thoughts on this procedure. I'm interested therefore to see if anyone else on here has had that happen to them, and what they thought about it etc.

Vali
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Lynette, I didn't have anything for blood clots, but i did wake with bruising on my right wrist and a puncture wound. Can't remember what is was for. Doctor said it was to monitor something, but can't remember! I do remember some other members on here talking about IV filters. I think it was around the August surgery ladies. Just search the forums and it may come up.

LindaRacine
02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi...

The IVF is not the norm, but some doctors do it routinely. There must be some risk (probably small), I suspect. Otherwise, I suspect all surgeons would do it.

Regards,
Linda

Snoopy
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm not familiar with that. I had a port put in just below the clavicle the Friday before my Monday surgery--just for easy access to veins, etc. I think. Janet

Janet,

I find this very interesting as I've never heard of them placing a port just for a surgery. Did they remove the port after the surgery and if so, how soon after surgery?

Mary Lou

Doodles
02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I remember so little so checked with my husband. He thought they probably took it out before I went to rehab. So that would have been about day #8. Janet

loves to skate
02-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Lynette, I didn't have anything for blood clots, but i did wake with bruising on my right wrist and a puncture wound. Can't remember what is was for. Doctor said it was to monitor something, but can't remember! I do remember some other members on here talking about IV filters. I think it was around the August surgery ladies. Just search the forums and it may come up.
Vali,
The bruising on your right wrist was probably from a blood gas arterial blood draw. Sally

Vali
02-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks Sally.