Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News

Hi everyone,

Well the doctor that I wanted so much to operate on me, works with Dr. Cronen from time to time to do the bigger more complicated surgeries because Dr. Cronen apparently is an excellent scoliosis surgeon, and has trained under Dr. Lenke. Thanks to David on here who gave me some advice about Dr. Cronen, I called his office today and they take Humana Insurance, so I've booked an appointment, earliest they could get me in is Feb 24th. I will bring my x-rays with me that I got from Dr. Moreno's office, and more than likely try to set up a date for surgery some time at end of April early May if I can.

I'm so relieved that I'm covered for insurance and that this doctor seems to have a great reputation.

I'm extremely nervous about surgery, and keep thinking I'm looking at somebody else's life instead of mine, can't believe that I'm faced with this predicament, that this is actually my spine that is so deformed - why why why? Anyway, I have come to a place of acceptance, but nevertheless I'm still terrified about surgery, and the pain afterwards and how long it will take me to recover in order to be able to get back to taking care of my sons without having to ask my mum who is 77 to have to do too much for too long. I just hope it won't be too much for her! Thank God she adores my sons and spends every day with us anyway because she can't bear to be away from them for more than one day

Anyway, that's my good news, that at least I can move forward with this. Thank you all again for all your great support and info with my journey so far.
    Last edited by LynetteG; 02-11-2010, 01:18 AM.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

I knew it would work out for you.

Congratulations.
    45L/40T
    Surgery 25/1/2010
    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

That is very good news Lynnette!

I felt the same way you do, i.e. How did this happen to me? How could I be facing this huge surgery? Believe me, it's scary for us all. But you have a better life ahead. I realise how difficult this is going to be, being apart from your boys and not being able to take care of them. Is there someone who could back up your Mom, a friend, cousin, an Aunt? Because it really will be hard for a 77 y.o. being fully responsible for two boys. What are their ages?

I really feel for those with kids, it must be incredibly difficult. I am glad I did not need to do this surgery until I was a grandparent!

The best of luck to you Lynnette, it's going to be a big year , but there's a great life ahead and it will be worth it.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Great news Lynette! I am thrilled for you. Let us know what happens at the appointment.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Jim - Thank you - hope your pain is lessening every day!

Jennifer- Unfortunately for the most part it truly will be just my mum who can help me - a cousin from England is coming over as soon as she hears when my surgery date is, she'll book her flight to be here, but she'll only be here for two weeks altogether. My brother will probably come over when he can but he's in the process of opening up a new business which will take up a lot of his time. My ex just sent me such a horrible threatening email, telling me not to expect he or his wife to help me (I wouldn't want him to help), and threatened about reducing my money etc., taking away my medical insurance etc., just what I needed to see right now. I've learnt to let his horrible words to ride over me now though, because I have so much love and support from my family - which he does NOT have, and having people who love and care about you is worth way more to me than anything else in life

Debbei - I will definitely let you know how the appointment goes

Now that I know I'm moving ahead with this surgery, I've become an insomniac and find myself staying awake a lot through the night feeling nervous, and then when I do fall asleep I have nightmares. Did any of you have these issues once you started moving toward surgery?
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette,
            that's great news! Sorry to read about your ex though. Must say, some people just don't have an empathetic bone in their body. I hope everything goes well for you at your appointment. I had trouble sleeping for a few months before surgery due to pain, but after the consult with my surgeon, all i kept thinking about was the hardware i was getting in my back, how i got to be in these shoes and the one everyone probably asks - why me? I hope your thoughts calm a little after your appointment. Best wishes.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Vali - Thank you! It's actually very comforting to hear that pretty much everyone else on here has had the same thoughts go through their heads. One thing I'll be also very happy about is that I won't feel or look so deformed anymore. Whenever we've gone to the pool with my sons, I've always looked at everyone else wishing I had their straight spines, at least my spine will be straighter than it is right now afterward.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
                Now that I know I'm moving ahead with this surgery, I've become an insomniac and find myself staying awake a lot through the night feeling nervous, and then when I do fall asleep I have nightmares. Did any of you have these issues once you started moving toward surgery?
                Sleeplessness and nightmares? YES YES and YES again. I remember one vivid nightmare where I had the surgery and woke up in HORRIBLE pain. When I woke up from that nightmare, I remembered how bad the pain was. You know what? When I actually had the surgery and woke up, the pain was not nearly as bad as it was in my dream.

I'm sorry your ex is being such a jerk and that you have to put up with all of his garbage.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Debbe - In a way that nightmare worked out to be in your favor - thank goodness the pain after your real surgery was not as bad as that nightmare - that's very encouraging actually . As far as my ex is concerned - I'm just really happy that I'm no longer the one married to him listening to his controlling ways and not having to put up with his mental abuse anymore - so YAY for me . His present wife I'm sure will see straight through him one of these days. It took me many many years to really see hold cold-hearted and soulless he is, sad really!
                  Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynnette--I'm so happy you are now able to move ahead with your decision. And yes, sleeping was difficult and often marred with nightmares! I had a horrible one that haunted me for days about surgery and thought I'd never forget--I just realized I have definitely forgotten it! Some of our fears are way beyond reality. However, I always thought it best to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Good luck as you move forward. Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Janet - Thank you for your kind words. Yes I agree, I always like to know everything I can find out about the surgery so that I'm also prepared
                      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Are you able to exercise Lynnette? If so, and you are not in too much pain, my advice to help you sleep is to exercise, exercise, exercise. For me, whereas I could not stand for more than 30 seconds without pain, I could walk quite a distance. So every day I walked, harder and faster and longer and I also kayaked without any problem. This helped knock me out at night. I think the best thing about sleep is, that it reduces stress. If you're tired, everything seems worse. So sleep is important.

Apart from that, you may consider an anti-anxiety medication. Even if you're not keen on taking meds, I believe there's a time and place for everything and knowing how much it helped me, I would recommend it.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Jennifer for your advice, actually you're right, I need to exercise more now than ever to prepare my body for good health for this surgery. I have been in a depression for the last four weeks or so, and have had no energy to do ANYTHING, however, I've moved passed that, and I'm rearing to go. So I have actually (funny that you mention it), set up my schedule each day till surgery now for practicing my meditation, hypnosis for surgery, kundalini yoga (which is active yoga with cardio), and swimming. I'm about 20 pounds overweight, so I want to get that down also, and yes, I know you're right, it will definitely help me sleep better at night.

I suddenly have this passion to prove to the world, that all the crap I'm going through will make me stronger, more determined, and more passionate about life and my future career. I will show the world, and I'll show my ex that NOTHING will get me down, especially not him
                          Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Hi Lynette
                            so glad for you that the insurance has worked out with a good doctor...that should hopefully put your mind at ease...that you will have a skilled surgeon to take care of you!

it sounds as if you have been dealing with alot lately...the situation with your ex sounds like alot just in itself!! have you talked to a therapist or doctor about depression...cause i know how paralyzing it can be...& there are medications that can really help! i think the "why me" thing is not good for anyone! it leads to more depression.....i just try to think that it could be worse...that others have just as big or bigger problems than mine...but i know that when one is depressed, a black cloud can descend that covers everything & limits perspective!! that is why medication can be so helpful...

once you get comfortable with your decision, i bet you start to sleep better...

best of luck
                            jess

Comment

That's fabulous news Lynette--so good that you've got a great surgeon that your insurance will cover. I can so relate to your comment about straight spines and being at the pool with your sons. I have been a lifelong swimmer and always have to wear high-back suits to cover up the curve. You're just so envious looking at those bodies with normal spines. I have obssessed over this back for so long and spent many sleepless nights worrying about surgery, what to do, etc. Before I made the surgery decision, my Dr. had put me on a low dosage of amitriptyline which really helped with getting to sleep and pain mgmt. In fact, the visiting nurse today suggested we start it again since being in bed is painful right now. Cheers for your good news--lean on this forum --it's wonderful.

Anne in PA
                              Age 58
                              Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                              T4 to sacrum fusion
                              63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                              Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Working...
                              X