Four weeks post op!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four weeks post op!!

WOW!!! What a journey!!! Hello everyone! I didn't post anything prior to my surgery because I was too busy reading everything on this forum! I had my surgery 1/13/10! Where did the time go! I was fused T-11 to L-5. I had an anterior/posterior surgery that lasted 11 hours. I lost a lot of blood during the surgery but everything turned out great. My lumbar curve pre-op was 62 degrees and post-op they said was 18 or 20. My thoracic curve was 45 degrees but he didn;t fuse that area because he said it would correct itself. Already it's gone down to somewhere around 30 degrees. I can't lie and say that it was easy. My time in the hospital was very difficult. I was intubated over night and was not sedated enough so I was awake and completely aware of everything that was happening around me. The next day i relayed back to the nurses all of the conversations I heard them have. Being intubated and knowing it was one of the most difficult things I went through. I ended up being in the PACU for 5 1/2 days because I had a chest tube in me. The PACU was horrible and the nursing staff was horrendous!! Once I made it to my room everything got better. I was in the hospital for 10 days and when I went home it seemed like my recovery got so much better. I get around pretty good on my own. Sitting for more than 30 minutes is difficult and I feel like I get tired so easily from such mundane activites like showering or walking up the stairs. I live in central NJ so getting out to walk has been a challenge with the snow, but I try to do it as much as possible. I took my dog for a walk by myself yesterday for the first time!! HOORAY!! I also went for a ride in the car yesterday for the first time!!! YOO HOO!!! Who knew that such little things could make someone soooooooooo happy!!!! I feel good. I'm still taking my pain meds but I'm gradually taking less and less as time goes on. I see Dr. Boachie tomorrow and I can't wait to get my script for physical therapy!! I was an extremely active person pre surgery and I'm losing my mind not doing anything more than walking around the house. I love reading everyones posts on here! I can't put into words how helpful it has been to read what others have been through with this surgery. I honestly don't know what I would have done without it. Congrats to all those who have made it through the surgery and to those of you who are waiting to get it done, you will not regret it!!! It's tough, but it's amazing what our minds and bodies can endure!! Best of luck to everyone! : )

Welcome! I'm a former Jersey girl myself! Are you having blizzard conditions right now like we are in DC? I bought a treadmill off of Craigslist because the weather has been so miserable! Good luck with everything...sounds like you're well on your way to a great recovery. (and yes...I hated waking up with a chest tube...that was the worst).
    Kathy, 43
    Diagnosed as a teen
    Boston brace 2 years
    63 degree lumbar curve
    Surgery August 26, 2009
    Anterior approach fused T12-L4
    now 28 degrees

Comment

Hi Lisa,

So glad you're doing well...your fusion is very similar to mine. You're doing a lot better than I was at 4 weeks! I agree that the nursing staff at HSS left much to be desired. Be careful walking outside, you definitely do not want to fall at this point. Damned snow!!!! Arrrgh.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Lisa,

how wonderful to hear from you! I'm so glad that you're doing so well, and that you had such a wonderful correction.

I hope you are able to make it into the city tomorrow. It is a mess here today, and of course all the schools are closed. I wonder if they will even go back tomorrow.

Keep up the good work on your recovery and give yourself a gentle hug from me!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congratulations on such a good correction and recovery. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Just be careful on all that snow--no falls allowed. Good luck. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Lisa, You sound amazing! I live in northern New Jersey and I really think you should not take too many risks with the snow; it's pretty intimidating! You're not even a month post op and you're doing so well! My best wishes are with you, Joy

Comment

Friggin great bein post-op hey?

Glad your recovery is coming along so well.

And thanks for updating on your progress.

Jim
              45L/40T
              Surgery 25/1/2010
              Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Way to go Lisa,

Congratulations on being home and on this forum so soon, amazing.

I guess a few of us have some kind difficuty post-op, seems mostly related to the after care, and that should not happen. I was in the hosp from the
                18th to the 30th. I begged to go to the Ortho Ward, but no beds were available. The night before my second surgery I got to go to Ortho, but the next day my bed was given away b/c my surgery and ICU stay lasted longer than expected.

Loved my Doctor, hated my stay. I could go on and on,
                Shari

Comment

Hey everyone! Thank you for all the words of encouragement! Shari, I can totally relate to you as far as the hospital stay is concerned. I love Boachie but hated the PACU nurses!! I truly believe in my heart that being treated properly can help with your recovery. To all those who live in Jersey, be careful in the snow!!!! I wish it would all go away today! I can't wait for warm weather so I can finally get outdoors and walk to my hearts content!!! : )

Comment

I thought PACU stood for Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. No?
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,
                      At some point, instead of calling it ICU, they changed it to PACU - Postoperative acute care unit.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Meant to chime in on this one before ...

As far as I know, it stands for "Post Anesthesia Care Unit".

Regardless of the surgery you've had, you go there if you're stable (for monitoring). From there, you're routed appropriately (juuuust like an interoffice memo -LOL). Sometimes to ICU, sometimes to your own room.

Pam
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam is correct, I was wrong. Win some, lose some.
                          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                          X