8 days AWAY from surgery:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 days AWAY from surgery:(

8 days until surgery!! Gosh guys, I am getting so-o darn nervous. I had my last doctor's appointment on Friday and he told me they would be fusing me from T1 to L2. Any last advice for me? I am scared, no petrified is the more accurate term I believe
    I just feel like I do not know what to expect........

Do you want to ask any specific questions? I was very nervous and asked loads of specific questions and got good answers and one poster, Discombobulated, told me all about what to expect immediately prior to going to theatre and immediately after waking up. Getting the answers took away the scary unknown factor. It really helped.

And the reality wasn't nearly as scary as I'd expected!

Try to keep yourself busy, do some nice things for yourself, have everything organised to reduce last minute stress and try to exercise if you are able. Eat healthily. If you eat meat, get some red meat into you to build up your iron reserves. Spinach is good too, but drink some orange juice with your meal so that the iron is absorbed better.

Try to think past the surgery, to recovery. Think about getting stronger every day and gradually taking back your life. Because the surgery is just one day and you'll sleep through it!

Some of us have spoken of a sense of calm and acceptance towards the end of that last week. I hope you feel it, it certainly helps. Good luck huskymom!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

There aint nothing to do now except wait!

Stay positive and BELIEVE that you will get a great outcome.

It's good they are only fusing you to L2.

JenniferG is right, as the time approaches a strange sense of calm sets in

Just try and chill and think of how great it will be when you are all fixed.
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Huskymom,

We all know how hard it is to relax at this stage. I cried a lot. Jimbo is right about the strange sense of clam that comes over you.

And it did seem to me like the anticapation was worse than or as bad as the actual surgery.

Thoughts and Prayers with Hugs to you and yours,
        Shari

Comment

aww I can relate with you..I was just like how you are feeling I had to goto my GP and have the up my anxiety medicine bc I wasn't sleeping at night and was getting very anxious. But honestly when the day came I wasn't as nervous as I thought I was. They called me in had me change and next thing I know I was waking up in the ICU recovery room with my family there. It was harder on me because I had to have the two surgeries. But once I woke up from the second surgery it was like a sigh of relief like omg I just accomplished this! Its such an amazing feeling and you will soon join us on the other side. Are you nervous about anything imparticular?? My biggest thing was I didn't want to be intubated and was scared to death and told my mother I would pull it out if I woke up to it..I woke up and had the tube in my mouth and it didn't phase me at all..They had me so sedated that when I finally came to the doctor was telling me to cough and they were taking it out.. If you have any questions I would love to hear them or you can send me a private message if you want to talk. =) Best of Luck.
          meghan

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
          Fused T2-Pelvis
          Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Everyone above has given some really good advice--I think they have covered it. I was sure I wouldn't sleep a wink the night before since I often have trouble when something important is coming up but I actually slept a few hours. There is something to that sense of calm. Now is the time to put your trust in your doctor and know he will do the best for you. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thank you all so much! Your positive words of encouragement mean so much to me Just please keep me in your prayers next week I guess I have a few questions...1) What do you feel like immediately after you wake up? 2) Do you get out of bed and walk the first day post-op? 3) How is the rehab?

Comment

Originally posted by huskymom View Post
                Thank you all so much! Your positive words of encouragement mean so much to me Just please keep me in your prayers next week I guess I have a few questions...1) What do you feel like immediately after you wake up? 2) Do you get out of bed and walk the first day post-op? 3) How is the rehab?
                You will def be in my prayers

1. I felt groggy, when waking up from both surgeries I was pretty sedated bc of the tubes but when they took them out. I was more aware of things. I had the PCA pump and that really knocked me out..So the majority of the time I was sleeping.
                2. I wasn't out of been until that following Sunday. I went in on a Monday. I had the physical therapist come in on Tuesday and she was asking me if I was ready to get up but when she found out I was having the second surgery that Thursday she decided to wait on things.. I hear people that have the one surgery usually are up and walking the next day..Gosh I could have imagined that!!
                3. Are you going to rehab?! I never went to rehab. I came to stay with my mom and they set me up with a Visiting Nurse, A physical therapist, and a Occupational Therapist. Both visiting nurse and OT are wanting to discharge me this week, but I kinda enjoy there company lol and tell them not to go. To make something up

27 year old female
                Upper Curve 110 degrees
                Lower Curve 90 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                Fused T2-Pelvis
                Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by huskymom View Post
                  1) I didn;t really wake up in recovery, well not that i can remember anyway. 1st day post-op when i really woke up, i felt as if i had had the best sleep in a long time and was surprised that i was not in a lot of pain as i thought i would be. I had discomfort, but not pain. I had a PCA but hardly used it, so it was removed 24hours later.

2) 1st day post-op, i woke at 5.30am, the surgeon visited at 7.30 and the physio had me walk a few steps at 8.30am, then again at 1pm and then so long as i had someone with me, i could walk whenever i wanted.

3) i had no rehab. I was just instructed to walk as much as i could aiming for 1/2 - 1 hour by the 8 week post-op appointment.
                  Vali
                  44 years young! now 45
                  Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                  Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                  St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                  Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                  Post -op - 5 degrees
                  T11 - S1 Posterior
                  L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hey Vali,
                    I think South Australia has some strong folks. You have impressed me beyond belief. I hope to do just as well as you.
                    Rita Thompson
                    Age 46
                    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Husky mom,

These people on this forum are great. They make you feel so at ease with everything going on.I have not been thru surgery yet , but one month from tomorrow is my turn.

I am actually looking forward to it so I can be rid of my pain.

Yes I know that there will be post-surgical pain but that will go away and hopefully I will begin to feel better every day.

Melissa

Comment

1) What do you feel like immediately after you wake up?

I felt calm, relaxed and sleepy. I couldn't see because my eyes were swollen shut but it didn't worry me. Must have been the premium drugs. I had two epidurals so wasn't in any pain.

2) Do you get out of bed and walk the first day post-op?

No, next morning they took me from ICU to my room. The Physiotherapist came in but when they sat me up, I felt faint so they didn't push it. I sat up and walked a few paces the next day or perhaps it was the day after that. I could walk far better than I could sit.

3) How is the rehab?

I didn't have rehab. Doc. said walk every day, which I did. When I told him at my 6 week check up that I'd walked every day, he said, "Walk twice a day"!
                        Last edited by JenniferG; 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                          Hey Vali,
                          I think South Australia has some strong folks. You have impressed me beyond belief. I hope to do just as well as you.
                          Thankyou Rita. I am sure that you will do quite well yourself. Read as much as you can about the surgery, stay positive and i'm sure that you will impress us with your recovery. Best wishes.

Huskymom, my baby (Romeo - the husky )just walked in to sit with me as he does every night and has now settled in for the night. During recovery he was my best companion. He must have sensed i wasn't well as he went everywhere i went. At night, he comes to my side of the bed and nuzzles me to let him out to toilet, but funnily during recovery he would go to my husband and woo woo him, to let him out! Think about how well you will be to be able to have fun with your dogs without pain! Best wishes from me and Romeo says - woo woo!
                          Vali
                          44 years young! now 45
                          Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                          Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                          St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                          Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                          Post -op - 5 degrees
                          T11 - S1 Posterior
                          L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Thank You all sooooo much for the questions answered! All your advice means so much to me right now! I will definitely post next week as soon as the surgery is over and I feel like getting on my laptop! Thanks again for all the prayers too!

Vali - How awesome you have a husky too!!!! How old? I have 3 boys, Truman, Yukon, and Murphy Jack. They are my boys and my babies! I am gonna miss them so-o much while Im in the hospital We are so active with them, so I hope after my surgery I will be able to do even more with them Last spring, we took them to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and did 26 miles of mountain trails in 2 days. Gosh, I hope one day I can do that without all this pain I have due to my curves now.

Comment

I'll be thinking of you Huskymom and I'm excited to hear how great you will feel after your surgery! Just think you'll have a straighter back, and not too long afterward I'm sure you'll have less pain than what you're experiencing right now - it's all good. It won't be long till you will be back playing with those doggies of yours God bless!
                              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                              X