PDA

View Full Version : This time it's me

ADMoul
02-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Hi everyone--this time it's me, not my husband. Oh my, when David Wolpert's book says this is the hardest thing you will ever do, he's not kidding. Dr. Lonner got about 50 per cent correction, but unfortunately, couldn't do everything he wanted to do to stabilize at the bottom and was making noises about a second surgery through the front. I am hoping and praying we're not going to go there. I just don't think I could handle it. All of my bloodwork appeared to be fine and the hemotologist met with us yesterday and reassured us there were no big issues. I was measured for a brace today and hope that's what will be used for stabilization. NIghts are a little rough. This floor is horrendously under-staffed --someone had to have one-on-one nursing and that left one nurse for the floor last night!!! I finally hauled my own ass out of bed this morning and got into a chair because I just couldn't stand to lie in that bed any longer--esp. with the belly bloating. That's been almost as annoying as the pain. Have been in a chair all day, have been walking, using the bathroom myself and even did some stairs with PT. I have to appear not be doing too well or my insurance won't cover rehab next week! Eating meals is not fun but am forcing it down because I know that will help everything else. Enough gory details for now. Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and good wishes!

RitaR
02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Congrats on having your surgery behind you now. That must be a good feeling. At least now you know the pain you are feeling will get better, hopefully go away completely. Again, congrats.

JenniferG
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I hope that by measuring you up for your brace, this means there will be no further surgery for you in the future? I think I would be happy with a 50% reduction, the main point being, it won't continue progressing. I still have a 22 degree thoracic curve and it'd only be noticeable to a trained eye. I have no pain. Good luck Anne. I'll be looking out for future updates.

jrnyc
02-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Dear Anne
i am so sorry...beyond sorry! that you are having such a hard time!! i hope things ease up for you as the days pass...& fervently hope you dont have to have the addtional surgery...what a weird thing that the hematologist found nothing wrong, yet you bled so much! i dont understand it! i guess maybe they are right that it was a reaction to extreme body trauma! you poor baby!

please know you are my thoughts...& so many others...& wishes & prayers are said for you every day!

best regards
jess

megz
02-06-2010, 06:19 PM
hello =)

I was just wondering what you were supposed to be fused from..My first surgery they went through my stomach cut my from my belly button down, and put the cage work and stuff in that way then they flipped me over and put the hardware in from the back. The second surgery was the worst when they did the correction it was 10 hrs and they set the alarms off twice..I bleed a lot and they recycled my blood and gave it back, they also went through the side to take out my rib hump. I hope you are feeling better day by day..I had the worst bloating and it was due to the cathitier. It kept getting kinked and not draining the urine out finally i would have my mother keep checking and i would just try and push it out myself. I looked about 4 months pregnant it was sooo painful. I hear what you mean about understaffed..My hospital was the same way I lied in bed one night in pain crying bc it took the nurse nearly an hour to get me my pain meds when you are in that much pain it seems like years lol..I was def not impressed with the team of nurses at that hospital!! Take Care hun.

titaniumed
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Hang in there Anne. Hopefully, your surgeries are done...

It sounds like you are doing well. The belly bloating eventually goes down in time. You are getting past the hard part, soon you will go home.

Congratulations!

Ed

joyfull
02-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi Anne. You did it! I hope things get better each day from now on. I have an appointment with Dr. Lonner on Monday and I'll be thinking of you. All the best, Joy

Jimbo
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
aaaahhhh the memory is still so vivid to me!

Awesome that you did this and you are moving around and posting to all of us.

Stay tough and keep us informed.

Jim

ADMoul
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Dr. Lonner just bounced in here in jeans and sweatshirt looking more like someone's soccer coach than a world class surgeon. (which is fine with me--rather that than arrogance.) He said they are going to be watching very carefully the fusion on the right side because that is what he couldn't access. I will probably have to do cat scans and x-rays and there may come a point where he recommends a procedure. But that's not going to happen now--he agreed that my body has had more than enough trauma for now, thanks be to God. I have been so stressed about more surgery. I'm a big girl but there's a limit to what you can stand. However, he did get all the bone grafting and BMP stuff in that he wanted to do and we've got a 50 per cent correction. I can tell when I'm walking that horrible "nervey" pain is gone and he predicts that I will have a significant reduction in pain.Gotta go--food is here again--yuck!

debbei
02-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Dr. Lonner just bounced in here in jeans and sweatshirt looking more like someone's soccer coach than a world class surgeon. (which is fine with me--rather that than arrogance.) He said they are going to be watching very carefully the fusion on the right side because that is what he couldn't access. I will probably have to do cat scans and x-rays and there may come a point where he recommends a procedure. But that's not going to happen now--he agreed that my body has had more than enough trauma for now, thanks be to God. I have been so stressed about more surgery. I'm a big girl but there's a limit to what you can stand. However, he did get all the bone grafting and BMP stuff in that he wanted to do and we've got a 50 per cent correction. I can tell when I'm walking that horrible "nervey" pain is gone and he predicts that I will have a significant reduction in pain.Gotta go--food is here again--yuck!

That's great to hear Anne. Hopefully you will fuse without any issue and not need more surgery.

Why don't you have hubby go out and get you some 'real' people food? I hated hospital food too. Do you have any appetite?

RitaR
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I, too, vote non-hospital food - go for it Hubby!!!!! :)

Shari
02-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Hang in there Anne,

Don't be in a hurry to get out , and go home, especially if they are still trying to figure out things. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to know first hand if there is a problem. If not, we will all welcome you home very soon.

By the way, you have a wonderful and caring support group around you, and your healing process will be so much easier with them by your side.

You are blessed,
Shari

dianeh
02-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm so relieved your surgery is over and so sorry for all the complications. It sounds like Dr. Lonner still has his usual high energy level. May I ask what hospital you are in? I was at Lenox Hill and Dr. Lonner said he no longer practices there. We did hire a private duty nurse for the night shifts- 6 days-
which was worth it. I have very little recollection of my time in the hospital.
My pain was intense and it took a while to figure out what meds worked for me. Apparently I was walking, sitting and going to the bathroom but have
very little recollection. Sounds like you're clear headed and doing well. It is a surgery unlike any other!
dianeh

Singer
02-08-2010, 08:34 AM
It sounds like you're doing great, Anne. So glad you're not having additional surgery anytime soon. Don't plan to go home on Wednesday -- there's another load of snow on the way!!

ADMoul
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Diane, my surgery was at NYU Hospital for joint disease. And yes, Dr. Lonner is still high energy all the time. I have been up all day, every day in a chair since Friday--my worst pain is when I am in that hospital bed at night. I just can't get comfortable and when you have those damn compression stockings on your legs, you feel so constricted. I understand why someone would have hired pvt. duty nurses at night. You can't always count on someone remembering your pain meds and one night was horrendously understaffed because someone had to have one-on-one care. I have tried to be as low-maintenance as possible. In fact, someone today said they didn't even realize there was a patient in my room. I am just not one to be overly aggressive and demanding--can't believe the way some of these people are! Anyway, we're heading home tomorrow--long drive ahead but it will be so good to get out of here!

Shari
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Anne,

I feel for you regarding the hospital staff situation, I was stuck in the Heart Ward because they were out of beds on the Ortho floor. They had no clue what to do with me. Congrats on getting out so soon, I took all my meds right before I left and slept most of the way home.

I have to agree w/ Jimbo, even after almost 5 yrs, I still remember.

Take it easy,
Shari

mbeckoff
02-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Your stories about nurses being not available at night just reinforces my decision to hire Private duty nurses.

I believe that a person cannot stay in a hospital by themselves.

When a patient needs something, they need now. Not a hour later

Melissa

debbei
02-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Your stories about nurses being not available at night just reinforces my decision to hire Private duty nurses.

I believe that a person cannot stay in a hospital by themselves.

When a patient needs soothing, they need now. Not a hour later

Melissa

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my private nurse, and it was worth every penny spent on her. She took wonderful care of me, and she was also companionship in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep.

Editing to add that I had the private nurse only at nights when my husband wasn't there.

Radiogirl
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow..where do you guys hire a private nurse from? That might be a great option for me, as I am going through this alone.

debbei
02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow..where do you guys hire a private nurse from? That might be a great option for me, as I am going through this alone.

The doctor's office/hospital made the arrangements for me.

dianeh
02-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I had an LPN as my private duty nurse post surgery and she was excellent-
even called me at home afterwards. I needed to be readmitted 4 weeks later because a pain control doctor in my town accidentally overdosed me with a Fentanyl patch and my husband hired a nurse again-this time an aid who was
awful-ate and snored the entire night. I should have complained right away but my mind wasn't clear at all obviously. My husband was 2 hours away and she was fired the next morning so they did follow up and take action, but a bad memory for me. I wish we could have gotten the same LPN but she was not
available. Dr. Lonner recommended hiring a private duty nurse after the surgery or I'm not sure we would have thought of it.
dianeh

Shari
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow, the private nurse is a great idea. I wish I would have done that. I had family in the day to fight for me, and take care of things, but night time, was really a nightmare.

It's strange that even though you are heavily medicated, how much you can recall later.

The private duty nurse would have made my hospital stay much easier.

Good thinking,
Shari

Doodles
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm with Shari--I wish I would have had one too! My husband was there most every day AND night but sometimes that wasn't enough to get the meds. Some nurses were wonderful but there were those few who just didn't care. Janet

Singer
02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
My private nurse was also excellent...the hospital made the arrangements for me when we asked for one, so it was the luck of the draw. She was a sweetheart, a real motherly type - just what I wanted and needed. Worth EVERY penny.

LynetteG
02-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much does it cost approximately to hire one of these private nurses?

debbei
02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Hope you don't mind me asking, but how much does it cost approximately to hire one of these private nurses?

Mine was $40/hour.

titaniumed
02-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I didnít have a private nurse in the hospital. I'm sure that would be a nice thing, most of the problems in the hospital that I experienced were very simple. Things like reaching for my cell phone, and of course laying on drains hurts. Hoses are an issue, I had quite a few of those. Finding that damn remote with the "nurse button" was always an issue as there was always someone else moving it while I was sleeping. Simple things.

There is not all that much anyone can do for major pain other than a shot of liquid morphine, dilaudid, or lortab. This is run on a schedule, and strictly monitored and rotated. Mine were every 4 hours and not a minute sooner and of course, they are trying to taper down. The tapering down has to happen at some point. Since I had an A/P done, with a broken shoulder, and an Ileus, I had a little pain....

One of the things that happened was they brought in these young nursing students, from the local community college, and they were great! Anyone going in for surgery might suggest this as this is a free option. They asked me and I told them to bring the whole college down.
Ed

Singer
02-11-2010, 09:19 PM
My nurse was also $40 an hour....I had her at night only, which was the worst time for me. She told me stories about growing up in Jamaica and she helped me resposition myself when I wanted to turn over. Most importantly, she made sure I got my meds on time so the pain didn't get unmanageable.

I still get worked up when I think of how cranky those HSS floor nurses were. One nurse was handling me a little roughly and when I said, "Ouch!" she said, "Well, it was your choice to have this done!" I was flabbergasted and too doped up to reply. I think she (and maybe others) thought I was some vain suburban housewife having the surgery for purely cosmetic reasons.

RitaR
02-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I can relate to "cranky nurses". approximately 3 years ago I had college student nurses in my hosp room and one of those nursing students unhooked all my monitors/tubing, including call light, so we could have a bath in the bed. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I asked her if she was sure she was supposed to unhook everything? Of course, with all my dope, who was I? Then, she was so rough! It was awful! Then she couldn't figure out how to hook me back up. I fired her from my room!!!!!!!

debbei
02-12-2010, 07:33 AM
My nurse was also $40 an hour....I had her at night only, which was the worst time for me. She told me stories about growing up in Jamaica and she helped me resposition myself when I wanted to turn over. Most importantly, she made sure I got my meds on time so the pain didn't get unmanageable.

I still get worked up when I think of how cranky those HSS floor nurses were. One nurse was handling me a little roughly and when I said, "Ouch!" she said, "Well, it was your choice to have this done!" I was flabbergasted and too doped up to reply. I think she (and maybe others) thought I was some vain suburban housewife having the surgery for purely cosmetic reasons.

OMG Chris--that's horrible. Did you report that nurse?

Singer
02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Actually Debbe, a friend of mine who's a nurse came up for a few days to be with me during the daytimes when my husband had to go back home. She wasn't allowed to officially act as a nurse (without a NY license) but she kept an eye on things, and she witnessed a few incidents that made her mad enough to write a formal letter of complaint. We got a letter of apology from some administrator with the explanation that they were in a "period of flux, short-staffed," blah, blah etc. etc.

That said, if I ever had to have surgery again, I would still go to HSS because they are clean (incredibly low infection rates), orthopedic surgery is all they do, and they know what they're doing. I would just make sure I had someone with me at all times to advocate for me.

lisa7
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh my god!!!! I can totally relate to the horror stories of the nurses at HSS. Thank GOD my sister was with me the whole time I was in the hospital. She's a nurse and although she isn't licensed in NY state she was very helpful when the nurses didn't respond. She also advocated for me in a lot of situations. The night nurses in the PACU were totally unprofessional!! I honestly wonder how they even became nurses and why would the hospital even hire them!!! My room in the PACU was right in front of the nurses station and when I would press my call button not one nurse would come over. It would take almost an hour to get my meds at night. I begged my surgeon to get me out of there but because of my chest tube I couldn't leave. I have soooooo many stories from being in the PACU it's unbelievable. My husband wants to write a letter to the president of the hospital. My sister was appalled at the way they treated patients in the PACU. Once I was moved to my room it was much better. The nurses were attentive and for the most part timely when it came to my meds. I wish I had a private nurse while in the PACU. I honestly think it would have helped with my recovery while in there. : (

loves to skate
02-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Lisa,

Your husband should absolutely write a letter to the President or CEO or the hospital. It is the only way anything gets changed. It has to be in writing.

I guess I was lucky at the NE Baptist. The nurses were great and I was alone much of the time. There were two bad snow storms while I was there and hubby couldn't make it in to see me. There were a couple of times that my meds were late, but I could tell the nurses were out straight and they got to me as soon as they could.
Sally