This time it's me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time it's me

Hi everyone--this time it's me, not my husband. Oh my, when David Wolpert's book says this is the hardest thing you will ever do, he's not kidding. Dr. Lonner got about 50 per cent correction, but unfortunately, couldn't do everything he wanted to do to stabilize at the bottom and was making noises about a second surgery through the front. I am hoping and praying we're not going to go there. I just don't think I could handle it. All of my bloodwork appeared to be fine and the hemotologist met with us yesterday and reassured us there were no big issues. I was measured for a brace today and hope that's what will be used for stabilization. NIghts are a little rough. This floor is horrendously under-staffed --someone had to have one-on-one nursing and that left one nurse for the floor last night!!! I finally hauled my own ass out of bed this morning and got into a chair because I just couldn't stand to lie in that bed any longer--esp. with the belly bloating. That's been almost as annoying as the pain. Have been in a chair all day, have been walking, using the bathroom myself and even did some stairs with PT. I have to appear not be doing too well or my insurance won't cover rehab next week! Eating meals is not fun but am forcing it down because I know that will help everything else. Enough gory details for now. Thanks for the thoughts, prayers and good wishes!

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Congrats on having your surgery behind you now. That must be a good feeling. At least now you know the pain you are feeling will get better, hopefully go away completely. Again, congrats.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I hope that by measuring you up for your brace, this means there will be no further surgery for you in the future? I think I would be happy with a 50% reduction, the main point being, it won't continue progressing. I still have a 22 degree thoracic curve and it'd only be noticeable to a trained eye. I have no pain. Good luck Anne. I'll be looking out for future updates.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Dear Anne
        i am so sorry...beyond sorry! that you are having such a hard time!! i hope things ease up for you as the days pass...& fervently hope you dont have to have the addtional surgery...what a weird thing that the hematologist found nothing wrong, yet you bled so much! i dont understand it! i guess maybe they are right that it was a reaction to extreme body trauma! you poor baby!

please know you are my thoughts...& so many others...& wishes & prayers are said for you every day!

best regards
        jess

Comment

hello =)

I was just wondering what you were supposed to be fused from..My first surgery they went through my stomach cut my from my belly button down, and put the cage work and stuff in that way then they flipped me over and put the hardware in from the back. The second surgery was the worst when they did the correction it was 10 hrs and they set the alarms off twice..I bleed a lot and they recycled my blood and gave it back, they also went through the side to take out my rib hump. I hope you are feeling better day by day..I had the worst bloating and it was due to the cathitier. It kept getting kinked and not draining the urine out finally i would have my mother keep checking and i would just try and push it out myself. I looked about 4 months pregnant it was sooo painful. I hear what you mean about understaffed..My hospital was the same way I lied in bed one night in pain crying bc it took the nurse nearly an hour to get me my pain meds when you are in that much pain it seems like years lol..I was def not impressed with the team of nurses at that hospital!! Take Care hun.

27 year old female
          Upper Curve 110 degrees
          Lower Curve 90 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
          Fused T2-Pelvis
          Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Hang in there Anne. Hopefully, your surgeries are done...

It sounds like you are doing well. The belly bloating eventually goes down in time. You are getting past the hard part, soon you will go home.

Congratulations!

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Anne. You did it! I hope things get better each day from now on. I have an appointment with Dr. Lonner on Monday and I'll be thinking of you. All the best, Joy

Comment

aaaahhhh the memory is still so vivid to me!

Awesome that you did this and you are moving around and posting to all of us.

Stay tough and keep us informed.

Jim
                45L/40T
                Surgery 25/1/2010
                Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Dr. Lonner just bounced in here in jeans and sweatshirt looking more like someone's soccer coach than a world class surgeon. (which is fine with me--rather that than arrogance.) He said they are going to be watching very carefully the fusion on the right side because that is what he couldn't access. I will probably have to do cat scans and x-rays and there may come a point where he recommends a procedure. But that's not going to happen now--he agreed that my body has had more than enough trauma for now, thanks be to God. I have been so stressed about more surgery. I'm a big girl but there's a limit to what you can stand. However, he did get all the bone grafting and BMP stuff in that he wanted to do and we've got a 50 per cent correction. I can tell when I'm walking that horrible "nervey" pain is gone and he predicts that I will have a significant reduction in pain.Gotta go--food is here again--yuck!

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                    Dr. Lonner just bounced in here in jeans and sweatshirt looking more like someone's soccer coach than a world class surgeon. (which is fine with me--rather that than arrogance.) He said they are going to be watching very carefully the fusion on the right side because that is what he couldn't access. I will probably have to do cat scans and x-rays and there may come a point where he recommends a procedure. But that's not going to happen now--he agreed that my body has had more than enough trauma for now, thanks be to God. I have been so stressed about more surgery. I'm a big girl but there's a limit to what you can stand. However, he did get all the bone grafting and BMP stuff in that he wanted to do and we've got a 50 per cent correction. I can tell when I'm walking that horrible "nervey" pain is gone and he predicts that I will have a significant reduction in pain.Gotta go--food is here again--yuck!
                    That's great to hear Anne. Hopefully you will fuse without any issue and not need more surgery.

Why don't you have hubby go out and get you some 'real' people food? I hated hospital food too. Do you have any appetite?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I, too, vote non-hospital food - go for it Hubby!!!!!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46
                      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hang in there Anne,

Don't be in a hurry to get out , and go home, especially if they are still trying to figure out things. I know it's easier said than done, but you need to know first hand if there is a problem. If not, we will all welcome you home very soon.

By the way, you have a wonderful and caring support group around you, and your healing process will be so much easier with them by your side.

You are blessed,
                        Shari

Comment

This time it's me

I'm so relieved your surgery is over and so sorry for all the complications. It sounds like Dr. Lonner still has his usual high energy level. May I ask what hospital you are in? I was at Lenox Hill and Dr. Lonner said he no longer practices there. We did hire a private duty nurse for the night shifts- 6 days-
                          which was worth it. I have very little recollection of my time in the hospital.
                          My pain was intense and it took a while to figure out what meds worked for me. Apparently I was walking, sitting and going to the bathroom but have
                          very little recollection. Sounds like you're clear headed and doing well. It is a surgery unlike any other!
                          dianeh
                          ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
                          T3- sacrum
                          dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

It sounds like you're doing great, Anne. So glad you're not having additional surgery anytime soon. Don't plan to go home on Wednesday -- there's another load of snow on the way!!
                            Chris
                            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Diane, my surgery was at NYU Hospital for joint disease. And yes, Dr. Lonner is still high energy all the time. I have been up all day, every day in a chair since Friday--my worst pain is when I am in that hospital bed at night. I just can't get comfortable and when you have those damn compression stockings on your legs, you feel so constricted. I understand why someone would have hired pvt. duty nurses at night. You can't always count on someone remembering your pain meds and one night was horrendously understaffed because someone had to have one-on-one care. I have tried to be as low-maintenance as possible. In fact, someone today said they didn't even realize there was a patient in my room. I am just not one to be overly aggressive and demanding--can't believe the way some of these people are! Anyway, we're heading home tomorrow--long drive ahead but it will be so good to get out of here!

Anne in PA
                              Age 58
                              T4 to sacrum fusion
                              Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10

Comment

Working...
                              X