PDA

View Full Version : 7:00 a.m. tomorrow, my hardware officially becomes a toddler :)

txmarinemom
02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I still can't believe it.

Two years ago tonight, I had my house/life ready for some sort of invasion; the enemy (friend? I wasn't sure) was coming for an extended visit. Surgery was scheduled in 11 hours.

I'd spent almost 2 solid months getting ready. I had cooked ahead and frozen meals. I had my handicapped hanger. I had retrofit my bathroom in a manner that would have made any 98 year old proud. I had all essential belongings attached to my nightstand with VELCRO (which still makes me alternately laugh and think "*that* was awesome(ly neurotic) planning, Pam" - LOL).

I even had crap on my list like "Have best friend (bless my best friend ... if anyone deserves to be a saint, it's her) remind me to put body jewelry back in if I don't remember.".

Triple redundancies were in place to recover solo, and my mind was going 1000 mph: I was *certain* I'd forgotten something crucial that would derail my entire recovery.

For those of you facing surgery/recovery tonight, I just want to tell you - there's NOTHING that critical. People told me that, and I thought they just didn't get it. :)

Life won't stop while you step off the merry-go-round, and it'll be right there waiting when you feel you're ready to rejoin the playground.

If anything's indicative of how this all-consuming focus will eventually fade, I didn't snap to my "anniversary" until I'd written the date about 8 times this morning. The biggest testament I can afford my experience is "I don't think about my back".

How absolutely *stunning* that still is to me ...

Pam

RitaR
02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow! I am just blown away - your x-rays look remarkable!!!!! How straight you are!!!!! It must be so wonderful to be on your side right now. You are a true inspiration to me!!!

Radiogirl
02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
PAM, another WOW!...I can't tell you how comorting it is to hear those words from you!!! I am becoming increasingly anal about my impending surgery...but velcroing things to the nightstand...that takes it to a whole new level! HAHA! That is hilarious! Thinking back...are there 3 things you ARE glad you were anal about and that you would suggest? I'm so glad for you...and like you did...I will be recovering solo. Thanks for the calmness.

Laura

Shari
02-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi Pam,

Congratulation on your scoli and "neurotic" recovery:p.

I hope you realize how valuable your post is and will be in the future. It will be very comforting for many people that are secrectly like you, and others that have different fears and concern. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, what was you toenail cutting plan???;)

Shari

txmarinemom
02-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Hi Pam,

Congratulation on your scoli and "neurotic" recovery:p.

I hope you realize how valuable your post is and will be in the future. It will be very comforting for many people that are secrectly like you, and others that have different fears and concern. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, what was you toenail cutting plan???;)

Shari

Girl, I had a to-do list you wouldn't believe. I pull it out every now and then when I need a laugh.

I'm only fused to L1, so toenails weren't a priority. I *thought* waxing would be - but it turns out (who knew?) that isn't a life sustaining function. On the upside, there are people who are MORE than glad to take your money to provide either service.

Pam :)

JenniferG
02-05-2010, 02:28 AM
Great post Pam!

"I don't think about my back". The ultimate goal for us all. Brilliant that you've achieved this.

"I just want to tell you - there's NOTHING that critical." Absolutely. Life continues, things just fall into place and get done. Life goes on!

And it IS "absolutely stunning"!

Susie*Bee
02-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Good thread, Pam-- and congrats! How well I remember it all-- and how we waited to hear the news... And couldn't believe you were on the phone practically in the recovery room. I'm so glad your life is without back issues these days! :)

Pooka1
02-05-2010, 05:31 AM
:)

Two years. Time flies when you're not thinking about your back, eh? :)

Good to see you posting.

theizzard
02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Just wanted to echo my congratulations to you. Not thinking about your back is a real measure of success.:D
Avis

debbei
02-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Congratulations Pam. I'm so happy that you are doing so well. I can't wait to be at the point where I don't think about my back any more. I'm not quite there. Some days I forget it, but not always.

Your velcro and bathroom for 98 year old stories crack me up.

Singer
02-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Congratulations....and you really should patent the velcro-to-the-nightstand configuration...LOL!!!!!

loves to skate
02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Pam,

Great post. You are a wonderful inspiration to us all. I still have some issues but am very grateful for what I have and am able to do with this 70 year old body of mine. Hopefully we can get those issues resolved. Your toddler hardware and my birthday today.:)

debbei
02-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi Pam,

Great post. You are a wonderful inspiration to us all. I still have some issues but am very grateful for what I have and am able to do with this 70 year old body of mine. Hopefully we can get those issues resolved. Your toddler hardware and my birthday today.:)

Happy Birhday Sally!!!!

loves to skate
02-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks Debbei.

ddb
02-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank you- needed that perspective today :)

Dee

naptown78
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
You've said the words we all wish to say some day. "I don't think about my back".
Wow.......

Doodles
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Ditto what Kristy and others said. It would be so great not to think about my back! I hope I'm getting closer to that. You've had an awesome result, congrats!! Janet

Jimbo
02-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Great to read Pam.

How wonderful life can be :)

ADMoul
02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Just reading the posts I missed from my immediate post-op days this week and yours was wonderful. I loved your analogy of stepping off the merry go round and that it will still be there spinning when you're ready to get back on. It is hard for us type A's to relinquish control, but sometimes that can be life-affirming, too!
Thanks