JenParker 1/29 surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JenParker 1/29 surgery

JenParker....how did your 1/29 surgery go with Dr. Lenke??? I'm waiting to hear from you!!! I hope you are healing and resting and everything went smoothly!!! Please post as soon as you can!
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

I, also, am anxious to hear from Jen. I am confident she is liking being on the other side. I can't wait to be on the other side and having had surgery with Dr. Lenke. I can't wait to hear her story.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

It sounds to me like there is quite a few of us that have heart strings being tugged!!! Now, I don't feel like I the only one being impatient. Although, she is probably still in Hosp., and isn't able to post yet.

Hope we hear from her soon as well. ?

It's always great to get to know new people on this forum, some become special. This new group on here, I have to tip my Turtle Shell to you. You are fun and funny, compassionate and have a great outlook. It's been refreshing reading what you have to say.

Thanks for giving me some smiles,
      Shari

Comment

JenParker, Hope all is going well.Please post as soon as you can

Melissa

Comment

JenParker....still waiting to hear from you! I hope you are okay! Please post if you are checking in on here. Or send me a PM, as I am going to see Lenke next week for my pre op tests...with surgery next month. Thank you! Hope you are okay!!!
          Laura
          62 degrees
          49 yrs. young
          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Alive, Well and Straight!

I am back! I went into the hospital on the 29th and was discharged 7 days later. I flew home to Salt Lake on February 9th. The reason I haven't posted before now? TOO MUCH PAIN!!!! I am very straight though--I don't know yet what the correction is--but I gained 2 inches.

THANK YOU for all being so concerned. How did Chris do? She had her surgery the same day--I'll nose around and see if she has posted yet.

My mom was an absolute angel for staying with me for two weeks in St. Louis and a few days here at my house to be my "occupational therapist" so I could get dressed, take my first shower!, and get a little food for myself.

What do you all want to know? Throw the questions and I'll try to answer them tomorrow.

I'm not always in this much pain--each day is so different. I am having a hard time with the bowels so I am trying to balance out taking the narcotics and being in so much stomach pain. Not trying to be gross--just telling it like it is!

Jennifer

Comment

Ah Jennifer! Good to see you safely over on the "done" side!

I am sure you're doing all the right things to re-regulate the bowels, we all have this problem (I think) and they do right themselves eventually. Water, fibre, walking, laxatives. Pear and/or Prune juice helps some. It's early days yet, and probably the most difficult time post-op, but in another couple of weeks you will look back and see how far you've come.

Take care.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Jen, welcome to the post-op world. You and I are only a few days apart so we can share war stories. Despite some significant blood loss which caused my surgery to be curtailed before all the anchoring was finished, I am doing well recovery-wise. I know what you mean about that belly pain. That really bothered me for a while. I'm still swollen although my digestive system is working surprisingly well. Am taking colace 3x a day and am eating anything that's not nailed down. Prune juice works if you can stand it. My pain is more achy/stiffness and am trying to space out my percocet 5 hours during the day. Night is a little worse although we are now putting ice packs on my back (which we didn't know to do) and also add amitriptyline (elavil) before bedtime. Last night was the first time in 2 weeks I actually got some quality sleep and wasn't up with muscle spasms. My correction is not as dramatic as yours but for someone my age with curves as severe as they were, I am pleased with 50 % improvement. My husband reminds me daily how much straighter I am. I was a very active teacher and cannot believe how content I am with this sort of just "hang out and recover" lifestyle. You just let your body do what it needs to do. Good luck--and cheers for your recovery!

Anne in PA
                Age 58
                Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                T4 to sacrum fusion
                63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Hey there Jen: so good to hear from you. So, tell me, was it really as bad as you had expected? I don't know about you - but, I expect pain that is just nearly intolerable or completely intolerable. But, that's just me maybe. I know they have meds for that, too.....
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46

Comment

Hey Jen well done!! I was told that because I live so far away, that they may require me to stay in St. louis a while longer so they can be available if any problems arise. im sure they did the same for you. Just curious, what hotel did you/ your mom stay at? And did you get a really good rate for being a patient at Barnes-Jewish Hospital? The couple times Ive been out there, we stayed in the Hampton Inn.

Again, congratulations on doing so well!
                    Last edited by osumike; 02-17-2010, 05:31 AM.
                    Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
                    Still unsure of post-op numbers
                    37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
                    Scoli pics

Comment

Yeah - me too, Jen. I would like to know where your family members stayed? Did any family members stay with you at least the first couple of nights after your surgery? I talked with Kelly today and she said they highly encourage family members to stay postoperatively. I just don't know if my absolutely wonderful hubby will be able to get any sleep with me laying there moaning and groaning all night? What degree was your curve and how many hours was your surgery?

Told ya - full of questions, aren't I?
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46

Comment

So good to hear what I consider to be positive reports from all of you. Thanks for posting. I keep listening and reading. One of these days, I'll make the plunge.
                        Glenda
                        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Jen--Congratulations! That's wonderful that you feel well enough to post. The pain will lessen over time--it just takes time! Take care of yourself and just relax as much as possible. We teacher folks (retired as of 08) find that hard but I'm really, really good at it now! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Answers to Questions

My mom and I stayed in the Parkview Hotel that is connected to the hospital. There is a patient rate of $99 a night plus a complete breakfast every morning. They were wonderful about everything at the hotel because they are so used to having patients.

I paid more to have a private room ($55) extra a night at Barnes Jewish in case i wanted my mom to stay with me. You can only have a family member stay if you have a private room.

I slept through the night two nights ago and was completely surprised! I felt so proud of myself. Of course I haven't repeated it yet but knowing that is is possible is worth it!

Comment

Thanks Jen for answering those questions. I had all the same questions for you. Nice to read your answers for sure.
                              Radiogirl, I have my preop with Dr. Lenke next Wed - did you say you go next week, also?
                              Rita Thompson
                              Age 46

Comment

Working...
                              X