PDA

View Full Version : Anne from York in New York Day 3

ADMoul
02-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Transferred to a regular room (Yay!), walked about 40 ft., still in pain, waiting for lab results re: surgical blood loss. Will keep you posted.

jrnyc
02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
dear Anne
thoughts & prayers go out to you...so sorry that you had this unexpected kink in the works with the bleeding...hope the doctors can figure out the answers so whatever is needed is done...the sooner the answers, the sooner the fix...

best wishes to you..hope you can find a comfortable position to rest in! hope the regular room helps you sleep better!

jess

JenniferG
02-04-2010, 03:38 PM
You've done well, Anne. Keep up the walking and your strength will return a little every day. I hope they can make you more comfy pain-wise, with some tinkering with your meds. Take care.

RitaR
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Congrats Anne on making the transition to the other side. I'm jealous (I think)... :rolleyes:

Radiogirl
02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
WOW Anne! You're posting already at day 3? Just like the kids, huh??? Good for you girl! :)

joyfull
02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Anne, It's so wonderful that you're posting already! Forty feet sounds good to me! Hope you're feeling better every day. All the best, Joy

Vali
02-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi Anne, sounds like you're doing really well, best wishes for the continuance of smooth recovery.

debbei
02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
It's good to hear from you Anne. Keep getting better. ((Hugs))

mbeckoff
02-05-2010, 08:09 PM
It is great to hear from you Anne.I hope that they find out what the bleeding problem is real soon so they can fix what ever it turns out to be

I getting anxious myslef . 5 1/2 weeks to go!!!

Melissa

RitaR
02-05-2010, 08:10 PM
I've heard a lot about this bleeding problem from numerous people. Is this pretty much true with any kind of scoliosis surgery? Just curious.

debbei
02-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I've heard a lot about this bleeding problem from numerous people. Is this pretty much true with any kind of scoliosis surgery? Just curious.

I'd guess that most people need transfusions with this surgery. The only person I've heard of who hasn't had ANY was a young teenager with a much shorter fusion than mine. I was given 3 pints during surgery. One pint was my own that I had donated the week before, and the other 2 were from my husband and son.

theizzard
02-06-2010, 07:44 AM
I had a transfusion after the first surgery and it scared the hell out of me. I have never needed blood before. Maybe it is fairly common in these type of huge procedures.
avis

RitaR
02-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I think the only match I've found so far is my Dad, which is fine. But, I kinda wish it was going to be my husband. We don't know what type he is yet. He has to go to the hosp lab to get tested and then we'll know. Although my Dad is excited to let it be him... Ha!

Jimbo, you are a true inspiration to me. I can't even imagine how much better it must feel to at least be on the other side and to know that maybe you will be painfree some day. Whereas me, I know tomorrow is going to be just as painful as today or maybe even more so if it's a bad day. Ugh! I'm tryinng to keep a stiff upper lip about this, but I have to say I'm getting really tired of being in all this pain. The muscle spasms!

megz
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I had lost a lot of blood during both surgeries..The first surgery they gave me 6 units of blood.. but on my last surgery they some how gave me my own blood back like recycled it..anyone heard of that?! My doc told me that if you have soft bones you tend to bleed more than normal. So the older you are the softer you bones are..but with my condition I have soft bones as well so I guess that is why i had to get 6 units of blood.

loves to skate
02-06-2010, 10:30 AM
RitaR - How old are you? If you are of child bearing age and want to have babies, your husband should not give blood to you. Antigen/antibody reactions can destroy a developing fetus. If you are past child bearing age, it won't hurt you. Also, your Dad can probably give a double red cell unit if his weight is above 150 lbs, (I think that is the weight limit).

Meg - During these surgeries they use a blood recovery system that suctions the blood and cleanses it so that they can give it back to you.

I received six pints of bank blood and two pints recovered from surgery.

Sally

debbei
02-06-2010, 10:48 AM
If you are of child bearing age and want to have babies, your husband should not give blood to you. Antigen/antibody reactions can destroy a developing fetus. If you are past child bearing age, it won't hurt you.

That's true Sally, and I should have mentioned it. My childbearing years are DONE!!! :D

mbeckoff
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Anne, please know that you are in my prayers and I do hope that soon you will begin to feel better

Melissa

RitaR
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm 46 yo. I have one child and although I would have never missed that experience in the world, and the child is the best child in the world, that is it for my husband and I. The labor and delivery was a piece of cake so I suspect if I were ever to have another the next one just might be a nightmare.... Ha! No, we're just not going to have any more. I had a hysterectomy few years back - great surgery, I highly recommend that. :)
My dad is over 150 pounds so that wont be a problem. How soon do you have to donate b lood? I have my preop in May, not sure if you do it ahead of that time? I'm hoping they call me with a cancellation before then - I cant imagine me waiting that long.