middle of the night back spasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• middle of the night back spasm

This is 9 days post op and I'm having another back spasm. I just had to get out of bed and streach. I also took a pain pill, so hopefully it will settle down. Any ideas of how best to handle this?The doctor told me that I could up the pain med if I need too, but I'm looking for any ideas. What about heating pads, etc. on my back. I just didn't want to put a hot or cold pack on the rods until I asked, and I forgot.

Jen

I have used heating and/or cold pads for muscle spasm, but not until a few months post op. Definitely ask the Dr.'s office for that. Does the Dr. have you on muscle relaxants as well as pain pills? I find that muscle relaxants help tremendously when I'm having spasms, even now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am 3 wks post op and I am usually woken up by back spasms. I was given Valium for them but am only allowed to take 1 every 8 hrs.. When I usually get the back spasms I try to relax my body and do deep breathing..It usually ends up going aways..((especially if I am in between doses and can't take a pill for it)) I hope that was helpful

27 year old female
      Upper Curve 110 degrees
      Lower Curve 90 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
      Fused T2-Pelvis
      Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Great advice from both. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have muscle spasms so soon after surgery.

Linda R. may be able to add some advice as well.

Thoughts and prayers and hugs,
        Shari

Comment

Hi...

I think the drugs baclofen and soma are specifically used for back spasms.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Hi...

I think the drugs baclofen and soma are specifically used for back spasms.

--Linda
            I've used both Baclofen and Soma, and for me Soma works so much better. I keep them on hand for whenever I get the periodic crazy-painful spasms. I find they happen less and less often, and definitely less frequently when I exercise regularly.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
            X