Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 days post op

Hi Everyone,

I am now 8 days post op and have been home for 2 1/2 days. My surgery was 15 hours (according to my family) and I was in ICU from Tuesday night until Thursday afternoon. The doctor thought I made great progress once I got the ventilator out and got out of ICU and thought I was ready to come home. I don't remember it, but I guess I asked the doctor to help me sit up in a chair once they took the ventilator out! Thankfully, I have my mom and my fiance giving me 24/7 care! Most days are good, but I've had some issues with a few spasms. I am fused t2-pelvis. He said the top curve went from around 65 to around 38! He wanted to balance the top and bottom curve.

Morning time seems to be the hardest since I've been laying in bed all night. I am setting my clock to make sure I get my pills on time. He currently prescribed 1Percocet every 4 hours as needed and 1 Valium every 6 hours as needed for the pain and spasms. He had me on Norco, but it made me extremely queasy.

Today we added an "egg crate" foam pad on top of the pillow top mattress to see if it helps the pain! I'll see when I go to take a nap! The doctor did not reccommend me putting a wedge on the bed.

I also have chairs in every room with pilllows tied to the back for support. So far, everything seems to be going ok. I'm taking it day by day!

Jen

Congratulations on being home and able to post! It's great to hear that you are doing so well. The first 2-3 weeks are the most challenging.
    Keep up the good work.
    Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Comment

Congratulations.

I am also around eight days post-op.

Have a nice recovery
      45L/40T
      Surgery 25/1/2010
      Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Best wishes on a smooth and uncomplicated recovery. Sounds like all went well. Easy does it - as you said, one day at a time.
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

How wonderful to be home! Each day will get a teeny bit better. Rest and eat well and concentrate on getting better. Oh, and don't forget to do your walking daily, even if it's small laps inside the house.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

How great it must feel to be home

It is wonderful that all went well

have a great recovery

Melissa

Comment

Jen-- that's wonderful that you feel up to posting.. it was so good to hear from you! And yes, this is the tough part-- it will get better! Just take care of yourself (along with all that help from your mom and fiance!) and before long you'll realize how far you've come. Gentle hugs, Susie
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Wow!!! Jen, you're another one I have to be jealous of.

I couldn't even spell this soon after I got home!!!

Best Wishes for the rest of your recovery,
                Shari

Comment

Working...
                X