1st time questions please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time questions please help

Hello everyone!! My name is Julia. I am 22, I live with my fiance' and my 5 year old daughter Heaven, I reside in Albuquerque New Mexico. My doctor is going to schedule my surgery on October 15th. He said it will probably be about a month from then. He post-poned it because I have to quit smoking!!
    I am very scared to have this surgery but I am in constant pain and I can never sleep. I cannot stand or sit too long before my eyes start tearing up from the pain. Sometimes while working my right shoulder and arm go numb. My curve is 50 degrees on top.

My doctor said he can't gaurantee any pain reduction, and the curve will be fixed by about 50%.
    DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT TO YOU?
    WILL MY BODY BE STIFF AFTER? CAN YOU BEND YOUR SPINE?
    CAN I QUALIFY FOR ANY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE WHILE I'M RECOVERING FROM SURGERY? IS IT WORSE IF THEY HAVE TO REMOVE ANY RIBS?? WILL I BE TALLER?
    I have so many questions but I'll start with these,
    thank you all so much for sharing your stories, I don't feel so alone now.
    JULIA

Dear Julia,

Most times Dr.'s can get better correction if the spine is not too ridget..I'm 3 months post-up and my spine gets stiff in the mornings,,..than it starts to loosen up a bit..but your younger than me so I'm sure your'll have a different outcome.....if U have been working you should recieve finacial disablity...and if U need more time than just apply..and ask before the surgery.....so U recieve no surprises....if your dr. wants to remove ribs..that will add to your discomfort.....you will probally be taller...I gained 1 and 1/2 inches to my height.....the dr.'s ight aqbout smoking...of course it can add to complications after surgery...do the best job u can on quiting...read some passed posting on the archives..u will find many of those questions and worries answered by many....good luck...
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism