New Therapies/Surgeries/Intervention for Congenital Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Therapies/Surgeries/Intervention for Congenital Scoliosis

Hello, I hope this post isn't out of place. I am not a researcher but a parent interested in hearing about new therapies.

I am the mother of a 35 month old boy with severe congenital scoliosis. He is normal in every other way. He has about ten vertebrae which are not completely formed, ie hemivertebrae. So far we are just bracing. My son is also, to make things harder, extreeeeeemely small for his age. I mean, we're talking right off the lowest percentile scale! Anyway, there's not much flesh to stick a rod or a rib into and that was one of the reasons that our doctor and the Seattle Titanium Rib team didn't think my son was a good candidate at that time. Endocrine levels are fine.

I am interested in the very leading edge therapies including transplanting bone growth tissue to the affected vertebrae, building up the affected vertebrae with synthetic supporting materials, variations on external support for the spine, etc. I think my son may need a multipronged approach.

Susan
    Surattius
    Mum to two boys with scoliosis

Hi Susan...

I'm so sorry about your son. Your burden is huge, and I always admire people in your situation for your strength.

I haven't heard anything about "transplanting bone growth tissue." Do you know who is doing this?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda, thanks for your reply. Great website, by the way. Here's the link to what I think triggered my interest in growing cells in between the vertebrae. Pretty early stage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract
      Surattius
      Mum to two boys with scoliosis

Comment

is there any way to read the full extract o=on PubMed?

the link you gave only showed the extract.

Regards,

Ged

Comment

Ged...

You'll need access to a medical library. Here's where to start:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/loansomedoc/loansome_home.html

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X